It is currently Sun 04 Oct 2026 1:42 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09 Oct 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Belfast, Ireland
Oh we got a lovely one in class last night.
Tá mé idir dhá thine. Literally I am between two fires. Where is the word 'mind' asked someone, good question and we could have used 'comhairle' as a more literal translation but I LOVE dhá thine and the etymology of it is so rich, coming from the ancient maytime tradition of driving livestock between two fires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
peterdewolf wrote:
Oh we got a lovely one in class last night.
Tá mé idir dhá thine. Literally I am between two fires. Where is the word 'mind' asked someone, good question and we could have used 'comhairle' as a more literal translation but I LOVE dhá thine and the etymology of it is so rich, coming from the ancient maytime tradition of driving livestock between two fires.
Thanks for posting that. I have never heard it and it's really nice. I only have - the more boring - 'idir dhá aigne'. Keep us posted (literally!) on other little gems you encounter. :GRMA:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
I'm pretty sure that "Idir dhá thine (Bhealthaine)" means "in a bad situation", "in a dilemma", "between a rock and a hard place".

The exact same expression is also used in Scottish Gaelic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
I'd say "idir dhá intinn".

I wonder is "between two minds" Hiberno-English? Did it come from Irish originally? I don't know.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
I say "eadar dheá chomhairle".

Isn't it "in two minds" in standard English (I mean, not Ireland's English :) ) ?

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Lughaidh wrote:
I say "eadar dheá chomhairle".

Isn't it "in two minds" in standard English (I mean, not Ireland's English :) ) ?



I've heard that too. That's much better.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 25 Dec 2011 2:06 am
Posts: 126
Cúpla ceann eile:
idir dhá stól:
idir dhá cheann na meá


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Lughaidh wrote:
I say "eadar dheá chomhairle".

Isn't it "in two minds" in standard English (I mean, not Ireland's English :) ) ?


"OF two minds" is what you'd hear here.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 1:45 am
Posts: 267
Yes, Red. that's how I've always heard it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm in two minds
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Quote:
Tá mé idir dhá thine


At the Deireadh Seachtaine Gaeltachta last month here in SF, that expression was explained as referring to when St. Patrick faced off against the druids at Bealtaine, in order to draw back to Christianity people who had been wavering and had been drawn back to the old religion. Patrick lit his own competing fire in the name of his God, and the people were idir dhá thine ("between two fires"), deciding which way to go.

I have no idea whether that's true, but it makes more sense than having the phrase be a reference to passing between fires, because that was a purification ceremony, and wouldn't have had anything to do with indecision.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1002 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group