It is currently Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2019 3:19 am 

Hi! I'm planning to get a tattoo that in English says "she flies with her own wings". Ireland is very special to me because of a trip I took following my divorce and I'd like to have the tattoo be in Irish. A friend of mine is from Galway and he and his family gave me the following translation: "Is duine ann féin í". My understanding is this means "she is sufficient unto herself". As a Spanish speaker, I totally understand that literal translations don't always work/make sense and am fine with this. I've always believed in double checking translations and thought I'd reach out on this forum. Super grateful to anyone willing to help with this translation!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2019 9:17 am 

mtsky wrote:
Hi! I'm planning to get a tattoo that in English says "she flies with her own wings". Ireland is very special to me because of a trip I took following my divorce and I'd like to have the tattoo be in Irish. A friend of mine is from Galway and he and his family gave me the following translation: "Is duine ann féin í". My understanding is this means "she is sufficient unto herself". As a Spanish speaker, I totally understand that literal translations don't always work/make sense and am fine with this. I've always believed in double checking translations and thought I'd reach out on this forum. Super grateful to anyone willing to help with this translation!
Thanks!

A lot of native speakers will give you a translation that really means the same thing but in different words. I often feel that people like the simplicity of a straightforward phrase. The only thing is, I might say "Is duine inti féin í" using "inti" rather than "ann" since "inti" means "in her" but that doesn't necessarily mean that "ann" wouldn't be correct in some dialects and to certain people. Since the word "duine" is masculine that may explain the usage of "in him/it (referring to a word of masculine gender).

My attempt at a literal translation of what you want is:

Eitlíonn sí lena sciatháin féin.

There are other ways to say the sentiment using idiomatic phrases and I think it would be good to wait to see what others have to offer in the way of ideas.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2019 2:50 pm 

tiomluasocein wrote:
mtsky wrote:
Thanks!

A lot of native speakers will give you a translation that really means the same thing but in different words. I often feel that people like the simplicity of a straightforward phrase. The only thing is, I might say "Is duine inti féin í" using "inti" rather than "ann" since "inti" means "in her" but that doesn't necessarily mean that "ann" wouldn't be correct in some dialects and to certain people. Since the word "duine" is masculine that may explain the usage of "in him/it (referring to a word of masculine gender).

My attempt at a literal translation of what you want is:

There are other ways to say the sentiment using idiomatic phrases and I think it would be good to wait to see what others have to offer in the way of ideas.

Tim

This is what's in my tattoo book, which was vetted by a couple of Irish editors.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2019 3:14 pm 

Tim, thank you so much!

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2019 3:16 pm 

Redwolf, can you tell which statement is in your tattoo book? I can’t tell what your post is referencing. Thanks so much for your help!

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2019 3:19 pm 

Redwolf - sorry- I meant to say which of the quotes Is in your tattoo book. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:05 pm 

Quote:

That's what Red was referring to. As she said, that phrase has been discussed here before, and I can give an additional thumbs up for it. :good:

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:16 am 

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2019 6:31 am 

I can't believe I translated it correctly. :razz:

PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2019 4:27 pm 

Thanks everyone! Any suggestions on which of these translations would be best? :D