Redwolf wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Going back to your original comment, Redwolf, I find that the people most critical of other people's Irish tend to be non-native speakers with a limited knowledge of the totality of the language, especially school Irish speakers who don't understand dialect, and to a lesser extent learners of one dialect who aren't familiar with other dialects. Mostly their criticism arises out of their own insecurity, i.e., fear of the unknown.
Native speakers on the other hand mostly take the entirety of the language in their stride and are very encouraging to anyone who has put (or is putting) in a decent effort to learn the language. (However, they don't much appreciate "educated" brats from elsewhere telling them their Irish isn't correct because it isn't "standard".)
I was thinking more that we're out own worst critics. Linguistic blips that we'd pass off as nothing much if we heard a learner of English make them become stumbling blocks to us when we're thinking about speaking Irish because we're afraid of not being "perfect."
Redwolf
Ah yes, there is that, too. Learning a language requires enough self-consciousness to feel the impetus to improve but not so much as to freeze up (and enough gumption to keep at it despite the begrudgers).
Conversation groups (or classes) with people of similar level (like
Is Leor Beirt) are good for breaking through this barrier of embarrassment. At Oideas Gael, I actually asked to be dropped down from Cruinneas to Level 4 so I would be able to practice conversation in this way rather than struggling with more difficult concepts. The higher level would have been more benefit grammatically but I felt I needed the conversation practice.
It is important not to neglect application of the language in order to try to improve fluency.
