DTG wrote:
Hi Redwolf,
The billboard simply said...
'Putting Ireland First - Éirinn chun chinn'
The other one said
'Putting Ireland First - Éireann chun chinn'
Finally, there was
'Putting Ireland First - Éire Chun Tosaigh'
All were associated with the same body, so I suspect they were written by more than one person, and/or someone who may have a shaky grasp of Irish? Or are these merely dialectal variations? My understanding is that Conamara prefers the dative.
I'd like to hear more from others here, but my first impression is that none of these really make a lot of sense.
As far as the forms for "Ireland" go, you've got all three there: Dative, genitive, nominative. And it's true that, in some areas, the dative and the nominative are pretty much exchanged, so I wouldn't worry too much about "Éirinn" vs. "Éire." "Éireann," though, is definitely genitive, and doesn't make sense there.
I'm only familiar with the construction "chun cinn" in terms of "progress" (as in "ag dul chun cinn"...making progress).
I'm virtually certain that "Éire chun tosaigh" is just plain nonsense.
Let's wait and see what others say, but I'm not seeing a lot of sense in any of these.
Redwolf