It is currently Thu 01 Oct 2026 2:49 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 07 Jul 2012 12:13 pm
Posts: 23
Location: Utica, New York, U.S.A
Heard a phrase I like; "Irish. It's not what I am, it's who I am." I was hoping some one could help translate this into irish. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but "what" and "who" are the emphasis e.g."Irish. It's not WHAT I am, it's WHO I am."I am not too particular on dialect (although please label which dialects using). Thankyou in advance for any time anyone can spare.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Antone wrote:
Heard a phrase I like; "Irish. It's not what I am, it's who I am." I was hoping some one could help translate this into irish. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but "what" and "who" are the emphasis e.g."Irish. It's not WHAT I am, it's WHO I am."I am not too particular on dialect (although please label which dialects using). Thankyou in advance for any time anyone can spare.


Here's a start anyway:

Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is cé ar díobh mé é.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Quote:
Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is cé ar díobh mé é.

:good:
Would this modification of your sentence work as well?

Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is é atáim.

I don't like it as much as yours but I'm wondering if it works (or is nonsensical.)

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Quote:
Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is cé ar díobh mé é.

:good:
Would this modification of your sentence work as well?

Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is é atáim.

I don't like it as much as yours but I'm wondering if it works (or is nonsensical.)


I haven't come across it quite like that. Maybe it does work. I would be interested if someone can come in and give us another view on this.

For me examples like
'ach is é atáim a rá'
'ach is é atáim a dhéanamh'
etc. would be more usual.

Of course, with the word 'Irish' in front I'm taking it that the 'who I am' part refers to those I come from - my ancestors - and my translation effort is with that concept in mind... but the poster will soon let us know... :)

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Braoin wrote:
Antone wrote:
Heard a phrase I like; "Irish. It's not what I am, it's who I am." I was hoping some one could help translate this into irish. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but "what" and "who" are the emphasis e.g."Irish. It's not WHAT I am, it's WHO I am."I am not too particular on dialect (although please label which dialects using). Thankyou in advance for any time anyone can spare.


Here's a start anyway:

Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is cé ar díobh mé é.


It's difficult to translate as it's a bit idiomatic in English. And not really translatable into Irish as is.

Braoin wrote:
...ach is cé ar díobh mé é.

I'd keep that part anyhow. As it means like Braoin said it's your ancestors they make you who you are.

Another suggestion -
Gaelach (or Éireannach): Ní shin atá ionam ach cé ar dhíobh mé.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Another suggestion -
Gaelach (or Éireannach): Ní shin atá ionam ach cé ar dhíobh mé.


Difficult to find the words for this one all right, a Bhríd. But for me you have nailed it, a chara.

I would second this, with either 'Gaelach' or "Éireannach' depending on how you feel! :)

:good:

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Quote:
Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is cé ar díobh mé é.

:good:
Would this modification of your sentence work as well?

Gaelach. Ní hé cad atá ionam é sin, ach is é atáim.

I don't like it as much as yours but I'm wondering if it works (or is nonsensical.)

Wouldn't that make it temporary/transitory? I mean it's Is Albannach mé rather than *is Albannach atáim isn't it?

_________________
A language belongs to its native speakers, and when you speak it, you are a guest in their homes.
If you are not a good guest, you have no right to complain about receiving poor hospitality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
Would ...ach é is atáim... be right? That would be something along the lines of táim fear, would it not?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Maybe if it's a bit oblique it's ok? (maybe). Sounds abit funny. What do you think Bríd?

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
I've only ever heard Gaelach used as an adjective.

Na Rite Gaelacha The Gaelic Kings.

I didn't know you could use it as a noun as well, i.e. that it was like Albanach. I thought only Éireannach worked there or Gael, so I learned something new!

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1763 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group