pennyrat wrote:
It's nice to see that you can make a joke and stereotype out of something that may be very personal to someone else. You have no idea what someone has gone through in their lives. So what if they want to ("scar" as you put it) something onto their body? If it helps them preserve a memory, help them in their faith, or whatever, who are you to judge them? Why don't you just click on another thread about 'The Golden Age of Christianity in Britain & Ireland and Orthodoxy Today' or Franco-Irish Translation Relationships in Nineteenth-Century Ireland' or even Political Economy and Colonial Ireland'? Or if you'd rather, 'Sarmatian legionary theory' or 'Celtic substrate hypothesis'. I could care less about those topics, but I still respect your right to be interested in them. You don't see me posting negative comments on those threads. Maybe most of the people here find those 'wacko'. If you don't like people coming here looking for tattoo translations, that's fine. Move on to the next thread.
Looking for a tattoo translation is what brought me to the old site many years ago. From that translation I received, I became interested in the language, and have continually followed and learned what little Irish I have from that site, and now to this one. One thing that hasn't been duplicated, however, is the friendly banter and actual 'relationships' that were made over there. It was actually fun to log on and read the good natured ribbing and joking that went on. Here, it's just about pointing out peoples mistakes, my dialect is better than yours, I'm right and you're wrong. Too many know-it-alls that aren't able to take suggestions or accept constructive criticism. Who cares why people want 'this or that' translated? If it brings someone closer to the language, and may get them interested in it, isn't that better than driving people away? (I know that isn't good enough for you purists).

Well said, pennyrat. (Even though I know I am one of the worst offenders.

)
Guys, the idea here is to encourage the use of Irish in any and all corners of life. As pennyrat says, if you don't agree with someone else's point of view but you have nothing positive to contribute to the thread (or the forum in general), please think twice about posting.
We try to help those who "disapprove" of tattoos by marking the threads clearly, specifically so they can know to stay out.
Tattoo translations are welcome here. We'd rather people had something correct tattooed on them than a mess they really would regret.
Please also refrain from posting threads just to bitch about something you personally don't like or to push a political agenda. There are other forums around if you want to try to incite flame wars. We could start a whole new thread called "Why all these wacko thread topics?"
Also, parochial disparagement of people from other parts of Ireland or other countries can only be passed off as a joke for so long. It is a form of ignorance akin to "racism" and the "joke" might not be so obvious to others, especially if they are from the place in question.
And finally, please refrain from posting in psychedelic colours, it makes my head hurt.
