It is currently Fri 02 Oct 2026 6:37 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2014 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
I'd call it a fricative alveolar flap rather than an approximant.

What IPA needs is a symbol that combines [ɾʲ] with [ʒ]. (One already exists for [l] plus [ʒ] see here). :LOL:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 1:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Breandán wrote:
I can hear that there is no buzz in words like aithreacha in the recording. There would definitely be a buzz like [ʒ] in Connemara. I also notice that there is a definite flap instead, not the English r.



Bhí Naomh Pádraig ag góilt[1] an bóthar lá agus chonaic sé triúr saor chloch[2] ag tógaint tí. Bhí lian[3] i láimh gach nduine acu agus iad ag obair go dícheallach dúthrachtach ar an moirtéal. Stad sé ag féachaint orthu agus rug sé leis gur ana-cheardaithe ar fad iad. Ach ansan chuir sé ceist orthu agus dh'fhiafraigh sé dhíobh an rabhadar ag an Aifreann. Dúireadar san ná rabhadar mar go rabhadar róbhocht agus nárbh acmhainn dóibh dul ann. Dh'fhiafraigh sé dhíobh cad é a dtuarastal lae. Dúireadar san gur scilling agus dhá thoistiún. Chuir sé a láimh ina phóca agus thug sé scilling agus dhá thoistiún an duine dhóibh agus dúirt sé leothu dul go dtí an Aifreann agus gan casadh aríst ar an obair an lá san.
Naomh Pádraig -trilled
an bóthar lá -tapped
triúr saor -first one tapped, second (lightly) trilled
ag obair -trilled but 'tight'
dúthrachtach ar an moirtéal. -double tap? then tapped
orthu agus -tapped, slightly devoiced?
rug sé leis -tap
gur ana-cheardaithe -tap, trilled
ar fad iad. -tapped slender 'd' type
chuir sé ceist orthu -tapped (slight retroflexing), tapped (slight devoicing)
agus dh'fhiafraigh sé -light almost devoiced r?
dhíobh an rabhadar -trill, tap
ag an Aifreann. -clear tap
Dúireadar san -tap, tap
ná rabhadar -two taps?, tap
mar go rabhadar róbhocht -tap, trill, tap (two r sounds as one)
agus nárbh acmhainn dóibh dul ann. -tap
Dh'fhiafraigh sé dhíobh -unvoiced tap?
cad é a dtuarastal lae. -tap
Dúireadar san gur scilling ... -tap, tap, tap
Chuir sé -slight retroflex tap
dúirt sé leothu -'bunched' held slightly retroflex slender fricative r
dul go dtí an Aifreann -tapped
agus gan casadh aríst -tapped but a pointy one!
ar an obair an lá san. -tapped but less broad than his usual

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
From the O Quiggin book:

Quote:
Corresponding to the four l and four n sounds described above we expect to find four parallel r sounds (R, r, R′, r), but it would seem that almost everywhere r has been generalised for R and there are no remains whatsoever of R′. If any traces of R′ had survived we might expect to find them in such sandhi combinations as N′i:r′ r′ïgər se, ‘he did not answer’; f′αrəg ə N′ir′ r′iʃN′æʃi: (f′r′iʃN′æʃαχ), ‘the temper of the irritable man’. I have tried all imaginable combinations but have never heard anything but r′. It is easy to form a palatal r with the articulation of L′, N′, i.e. with the front rim of the tongue pressing against the lower teeth, but I cannot conceive why the sound was given up. Of R on the other hand there are distinct traces, but not in the initial position where it has become r. Fortunately Donegal has not lengthened the vowel in every case before R as Munster and Connaught have done and it is at the end of monosyllables after a short vowel that we must look for the sound.


Brendan or Lughaidh,
could ye make a recording of what ye think the sound would be like, say by having a weak slender and a broad slender r in comparison.

Maybe by looking at the older version it might shed some light things

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
/R'/, as it says there, disappeared a while ago, merging with /r'/.

As for /R/ and /r/, they began to merge in a few dialects and I think they distinction between them is only left in Ulster.

/R/ is a proper thrill, where as /r/ is a tap. In Munster for example a speaker will either use a tap or a thrill or both in their speech, but they're no longer used to distinguish words.

The tap and thrill are now just two different allophones of /r/, in Munster and I believe in Connacht.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Quote:
:??: Maybe I'm mixing up buzz and thrill, how would you describe the pronunciation of the "r" in the Doegen recording?

The speaker in the recordings definitely uses a thrill. How would you yourself pronounce these two words:
Leabhar.
Leabhair.

One thing that really confuses me, is that for broad /r/ I pretty much understand how native speakers use it, it can be a tap or a thrill (the thrill coming from its merger with /R/) with some speakers only using one. Most, in my experience, only use the tap.

However slender r, /r'/, can be a palatalised tap, a frictive, but with no rules on when one or the other is used. It seems to me that it is often just a tap, even when you would expect the frictive sound. However maybe a very light frictive sounds like a tap to my bad ears and I'm getting mixed up.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
An Lon Dubh wrote:
/R'/, as it says there, disappeared a while ago, merging with /r'/.

As for /R/ and /r/, they began to merge in a few dialects and I think they distinction between them is only left in Ulster.

/R/ is a proper thrill, where as /r/ is a tap. In Munster for example a speaker will either use a tap or a thrill or both in their speech, but they're no longer used to distinguish words.

The tap and thrill are now just two different allophones of /r/, in Munster and I believe in Connacht.


I know all this -what I want to know is what it sounded like

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Jay Bee wrote:
I know all this -what I want to know is what it sounded like

Actually where did you learn it? I only pieced it together from listening to people and a short comment in the Irish of WestMuskerry. I used to think /r/ was simply a tap, until I met a few people who always thrill it or only sometimes do. Brian Ó Cuív mentions that the thrill is an allophone for /r/ and I only know from personal conversation that this comes from /R/ historically. If you have a reference that explains it that's be great, because the R's really confuse me!

Quote:
I know all this -what I want to know is what it sounded like

A palatalised thrill I guess, a thrill with the body of the tongue raised toward the soft palate.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 26 Dec 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 155
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Jay Bee wrote:
I know all this -what I want to know is what it sounded like

Actually where did you learn it? I only pieced it together from listening to people and a short comment in the Irish of WestMuskerry. I used to think /r/ was simply a tap, until I met a few people who always thrill it or only sometimes do. Brian Ó Cuív mentions that the thrill is an allophone for /r/ and I only know from personal conversation that this comes from /R/ historically. If you have a reference that explains it that's be great, because the R's really confuse me!

Quote:
I know all this -what I want to know is what it sounded like

A palatalised thrill I guess, a thrill with the body of the tongue raised toward the soft palate.


Is this by chance what you guys are talking about? There is a sound file on the page Voiced alveolar raised non-sonorant trill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Jay Bee wrote:
Brendan or Lughaidh,
could ye make a recording of what ye think the sound would be like, say by having a weak slender and a broad slender r in comparison.


There are examples in one of my posts above of the "buzzy" slender r. :dhera:

A Lon Dubh, are the examples I gave above the "buzzy" slender r _you_ mean?

I seem to recall one of the older members of our forum (or the old forum) - I think he was a Munster speaker - making a comment that when he was a young boy only women ever used the "buzzy r", never men. He seemed to be lamenting that it had become "the fashion" nowadays for men to use it as well. :rolleyes:

RobertKaucher wrote:
Is this by chance what you guys are talking about? There is a sound file on the page Voiced alveolar raised non-sonorant trill

Getting closer. Is there a flapped/tapped version, rather than trilled? (I can see symbols for what should be it on wiki but unfortunately no sound files to confirm it. :( )

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 26 Dec 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 155
Breandán wrote:
Jay Bee wrote:
Brendan or Lughaidh,
could ye make a recording of what ye think the sound would be like, say by having a weak slender and a broad slender r in comparison.


There are examples in one of my posts above of the "buzzy" slender r. :dhera:

A Lon Dubh, are the examples I gave above the "buzzy" slender r _you_ mean?

I seem to recall one of the older members of our forum (or the old forum) - I think he was a Munster speaker - making a comment that when he was a young boy only women ever used the "buzzy r", never men. He seemed to be lamenting that it had become "the fashion" nowadays for men to use it as well. :rolleyes:

RobertKaucher wrote:
Is this by chance what you guys are talking about? There is a sound file on the page Voiced alveolar raised non-sonorant trill

Getting closer. Is there a flapped/tapped version, rather than trilled? (I can see symbols for what should be it on wiki but unfortunately no sound files to confirm it. :( )

I meant that for the discussion of the trilled sound.
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Quote:
I know all this -what I want to know is what it sounded like

A palatalised thrill I guess, a thrill with the body of the tongue raised toward the soft palate.



I think the one you and I are talking about Brendan is this

Image

which has the raised diacratic and the fishhook that represents the tapped sound and palatized superscript j. It's not clear to me though, that the j is required as I believe that is covered by the raised diacratic as well...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1479 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group