It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 8:05 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 23 Dec 2013 6:36 am
Posts: 23
I have one more question: how would you say:

"The way love goes"

These are all family sayings and each of my siblings are planning on getting one.

Thank you and I appreciate all of the responses so far. Thank you to everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 622
Birish wrote:
I have one more question: how would you say:

"The way love goes"

These are all family sayings and each of my siblings are planning on getting one.

Thank you and I appreciate all of the responses so far. Thank you to everyone.

This is hard to translate because the English is so vague. That could mean many different things. Can you explain what the phrase means to your family?

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim fós. Fáilte roimh gach aon cheartúchán.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013 12:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 23 Dec 2013 6:36 am
Posts: 23
It's a song title, it just reminds everyone of a happy time when we were all together. The rest of the lyrics are:

Quote:
I wanna know, is this the way love goes?

I remember how you used to wait by the phone
Counting every minute that I was gone
And you used to call me sweet things in the morning light
After you would love me so tender each and every night

Lately you've got so much to do and you're never at home
By the time I get to see you, you need your time alone
Im too afraid to ask you but I need to know

Is this the way love goes?



It's not really a happy song but it was playing during a family event and everyone was having a good time so that's what we associate it with. Again, I just want the "the way love goes" part. I hope the lyrics give you a better idea of what the text is conveying.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013 1:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
An chaoi a chaitear an grá
The way that love goes. (Literally it translates - The manner that one loses love.).

That's the meaning I inferred from those lyrics anyway, so this may not be what you want, as Mick says it is ambivalent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013 3:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 23 Dec 2013 6:36 am
Posts: 23
I would say the song is conveying the message that love isn't perfect. Can that be translated?

"Love isn't perfect" OR
"Love is not perfect"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013 3:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 23 Dec 2013 6:36 am
Posts: 23
Sorry one more if the others don't work:

"Love isn't simple"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Or maybe something like:

An mbíonn sé mar sinn leis an ngrá?
Is it like that with love?

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
Perhaps for your request "Love isn't simple."

Ní hobair fhurasta é an grá.
Love isn't easy work.

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Or maybe something like:

An mbíonn sé mar sinn leis an grá?
Is it like that with love?


...mar sin leis an ngrá... Maybe?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan 2014 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 23 Dec 2013 6:36 am
Posts: 23
I see no one has approved any of the translations. If I try saying it differently Will it be easier to translate:

"Love doesn't always go your way" or
"Love doesn't do what you want it to do" or
"You can't control love"

This is a completely separate idea. Can someone translate:

"Love yourself" and
"Love yourself first and the rest will follow"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan 2014 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Braoin wrote:
Birish wrote:
I want to get a tattoo in Irish Gaelic in a couple weeks. I want it to say:

"May all God's blessings descend upon O'Reilly"



"You can't understand what you haven't experienced"

"The family of O'Reilly"

"The Clan of O'Reilly"

I appreciate anyone's help.



Go dtuga Dia gach beannacht don Raghallach.
Ní tuiscint go taithí.
Muintir Uí Raghallaigh
Clann Uí Raghallaigh

Please do not ink before this is discussed here and three agree on a final translation. Have a good Christmas.


Those are all good options. :good:

Birish wrote:
"The way love goes"


I'm not saying the others suggestions wouldn't work.
All are right in their own way.

What about - Sin é an grá. -That's love.
It can be positive or negative depending on your own perspective.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1283 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group