It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 10:49 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Somhairle Óg wrote:
I think the An Post automated stamp man nines are bilingual.
What does this mean?

And apparently Bord Gáis bills are available in Irish.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Our list so far:

A few of these need to be confirmed so please add any more info you have.

Note: All government forms/ websites are available in Irish. It is useful to state these separately so that we know what these services are.

1. Bank of Ireland ATM machines offer the choice to carry out the transaction in Irish or English, but AIB ATMs don't. Does anyone know about other banks?

2. You can order your Bank of Ireland and TSB cheque book so that everything is written in Irish. Does anyone know about other banks?

3. Public servants can ask for their payslips to be issued in Irish (or maybe only bilingually?)

4. You can get your ESB bills in Irish.

5. Bord Gáis bills are available in Irish.

6. All Dublin Bus/ Luas electronic bus time displays flash between English and Irish.

7. The Luas ticket machines are bilingual.

8. The photo machines where you bring your phone/ camera to to print proper photos in places like Harvey Norman have an Irish option which is really detailed with many options.

9. I think the An Post automated stamp man nines are bilingual.

10. Some -All? - libraries are totally bilingual including the check out machines. Is this true of all libraries?

11. With Meteor you can change your voicemail menus to Irish so it'll prompt you to listen to a message, delete a message etc all in Irish. I'd assume that's the same with e-mobile too as another Eircom subsidiary. Does anyone know about other mobile providers?

12. Eircom telephone/ Internet bills/services are available in Irish.

13. You can take your driving test in Irish.

14. USE YOUR ADDRESS AS GAEILGE

15. Pay your car tax

16. Pay your tv licence

17. Pay your household charge (if you plan on paying it!)

18. Make your tax return

19. Pay your NPPR

20. Register your septic tank

21. Passport applications

22. Census forms

23. CAO - paper applications and online applications

24. The librarian in Caherciveen!

All additions to make this list as comprehensive as possible are welcome. I intend to distribute the list to anyone who might be interested in switching some of their activities to Irish e.g. Gaelscoileanna Teo (to pass on to parents), Comhluadar etc. I encourage everyone else in a position to do so to do the same.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: BÁC, Éire
Saoirse wrote:
Somhairle Óg wrote:
I think the An Post automated stamp man nines are bilingual.
What does this mean?

And apparently Bord Gáis bills are available in Irish.

Man nines = machines on an iPad, they have automated post machines in shopping centres you can pay for postage/ buy stamps & post.

I'm with AIB and they don't have any Irish whatsoever, one of their policies in the T&Cs is that English is the only language of communication with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Somhairle Óg wrote:
I'm with AIB and they don't have any Irish whatsoever, one of their policies in the T&Cs is that English is the only language of communication with them.
I'm glad I closed my account with them now! :ninja:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Ceadúnas Teilifíse / TV Licence

My licence just came up for renewal and interestingly, if you go into the English version, your address comes up in English and if you go into the Irish version, it comes up in Irish so they have the translation facility of addresses built into the system. I do not know if it totally reliable for all addresses, but looks good. Ná déanaigí dearmad ar na seirbhisí a úsáid i nGaeilge má tá siad ann. Muna bhfuil siad ann, cur ceist futhu. Ar aghaidh linn leis an réabhlóid!! :party: (That smilie makes it look like quite a fun réabhlóid!! 8-) )

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
Here's one I've mentioned before (though it was probably at the other place) but anyway it's Citizen's Information website where you can switch from English to Gaeilge and find a whole range of specialised vocabulary in all sorts of fields. The question is of course - is the Irish that they use up to the standard that you'd want?
www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
www.citizensinformation.ie/ga/

Of course there's - Litríocht.ie (as if you didn't know ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2013 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
what you CANT do is order books from Litríocht with an Irish address and not expect to get a tirade of abuse over the phone from the courier and then any subsequent parcels dumped allover the postal district in Dublin in which you live.

_________________
Bíonn rudaí maithe mall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
Well all I know is that I sent a present to Saoirse (in Dublin) with the address written entirely in Irish - apart from Irlande, because I posted it from here, sa Fhrainc and she got it. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
if the item goes through An post there is never any problems with the address being in Irish.

The postman used to drop my letters in to my neighbor of a similar address on the same days he would deliver me my ones in Irish. I guess he just took more time thinking a about the Irish ones :)

_________________
Bíonn rudaí maithe mall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2013 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
franc 91 wrote:
Well all I know is that I sent a present to Saoirse (in Dublin) with the address written entirely in Irish - apart from Irlande, because I posted it from here, sa Fhrainc and she got it. ;)
I thought I replied to this yesterday.... :bash: As mentioned by Franc , I received that without difficulty :GRMA: and have regularly received letters and packages at work and at home addressed in Irish - some from litriocht, without a bother. 8-)

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1582 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group