It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 6:30 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2013 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 10 Sep 2013 10:56 pm
Posts: 3
Hello

I want to get a tattoo in Irish Gaelic of the translation of "Together Standing Tall" which is a line from Ireland Call the Rugby Anthem
Many thanks in advance

Liam


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Liam wrote:
Hello
I want to get a tattoo in Irish Gaelic of the translation of "Together Standing Tall" which is a line from Ireland Call the Rugby Anthem
Many thanks in advance
Liam


I'm not sure to "stand tall" works in Irish (although someone will probably prove me wrong), but here's a possible approach:

Ag seasamh an fód le chéile
Standing our ground together

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 10:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 10 Sep 2013 10:56 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't sure if the translation would work exactly but want it to be as close as possible and have the same meaning


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Liam wrote:
Hello
I want to get a tattoo in Irish Gaelic of the translation of "Together Standing Tall" which is a line from Ireland Call the Rugby Anthem
Many thanks in advance
Liam


I'm not sure to "stand tall" works in Irish (although someone will probably prove me wrong), but here's a possible approach:

Ag seasamh an fód le chéile
Standing our ground together


I was leaning toward something like this as well, but thinking more along the lines of dropping the "fód" and simply saying:

Inár seasamh le chéile: Standing together

Wait for more.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 10 Sep 2013 10:56 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks Redwolf. Would this make sense if I added "In Airde" at end.

"Inár seasamh le chéile in airde"

Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Liam wrote:
Thanks Redwolf. Would this make sense if I added "In Airde" at end.

"Inár seasamh le chéile in airde"

Many thanks


Not to my mind, no. It sounds like you're standing on a hill. "Standing tall" is an English idiom that doesn't really translate well.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
Could standing tall mean being proud?

Seasaimid le chéile go bródúil???


Last edited by MacBoo on Thu 12 Sep 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
le chéile?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2013 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
Saoirse wrote:
le chéile?


Yes. Well spotted.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013 7:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Liam wrote:
Hello

I want to get a tattoo in Irish Gaelic of the translation of "Together Standing Tall" which is a line from Ireland Call the Rugby Anthem
Many thanks in advance

Liam



There's another idea you might consider:

Gan scáth gan eagla le chéile!

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mürk and 1164 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group