It is currently Sun 04 Oct 2026 5:32 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Still, I think my informant was right when he said that nobody actually says "do mo" in Connacht.

Not usually as /də mə/, at least. :yes:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 1:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 May 2013 4:20 pm
Posts: 56
Irish is hard.

_________________
Brand new Irish learner inclined to ask questions. Writer, Words & Worlds of New York, a website about language-learning. http://www.ellenjovin.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Ellen wrote:
Irish is hard.
What can make it seem harder is that at the beginning of your studies, discussions about the differences between the dialacts can make things seem very complicated. If you focus on either one dialect only or the caighdeán (standard) until you feel fairly confident about the language, it will not seem so daunting. :reading:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Apr 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 32
Except if you try to learn Ulster Irish, which is resoundly ignored by most people. And then of course there's subdialects! :panic:

-> pub tour language stay in Gaoth Dobhair :guiness:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Hallow XIII wrote:
-> pub tour language stay in Gaoth Dobhair
:LOL: I will be spending a week in that neck of the woods in July! 8-)

Edited to say that I have just noticed that the line going through 'pub tour' did not come out when quoting and I have no idea how to do that. :/

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Apr 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 32
Saoirse wrote:
Hallow XIII wrote:
-> pub tour language stay in Gaoth Dobhair
:LOL: I will be spending a week in that neck of the woods in July! 8-)

Nice! What will you be doing there?

Quote:
Edited to say that I have just noticed that the line going through 'pub tour' did not come out when quoting and I have no idea how to do that. :/

Yeah, it's weird, the [s]-tags seem to have been deleted. Which, by the by, is how you do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Hallow XIII wrote:
Saoirse wrote:Hallow XIII wrote:-> pub tour language stay in Gaoth Dobhair I will be spending a week in that neck of the woods in July! Nice! What will you be doing there?
This thread explains..... viewtopic.php?f=28&t=763&hilit=family+gaeltacht+gaoth+dobhair

I feel like this thread has gone slightly off-track, my apologies, Ellen! :oops: Saoirse.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1221 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group