It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 3:29 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Saoirse wrote:
Actually, I am now wondering if I simply misheard it and then misused it. If said fast, 'as smacht' and 'ó smacht' would not sound too different - in the middle of a conversation. God only knows what other damage I am doing to the language. :facepalm:

Actually, I just turned up a couple of examples of as smacht in Pota, so you have company. ;)

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
41. Bhain gortú ______ ach tá sé ______ bhaol anois.
42. Is ______ Corcaigh é ______ dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ______ Phádraig ______ tuath ______ Éirinn.
41. Bhain gortú dó ach tá sé ó bhaol anois.
42. Is as Corcaigh é ó dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ar Phádraig faoin tuath in Éirinn.

Quietly confident..... fingers crossed smiley le taisteáil.....

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
41. Bhain gortú ______ ach tá sé ______ bhaol anois.
42. Is ______ Corcaigh é ______ dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ______ Phádraig ______ tuath ______ Éirinn.
41. Bhain gortú dó ach tá sé ó bhaol anois.
42. Is as Corcaigh é ó dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ar Phádraig faoin tuath in Éirinn.

Quietly confident..... fingers crossed smiley le taisteáil.....

:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
44. Bím ______ saoire go minic ______ Spáinn, ______ Astráil agus ______ Meiriceá.
45. Chuir sé an t-ór ______ cheilt ______ gcoill ach tháinig na Gardaí ______.
44. Bím ar saoire go minic i Spáinn, san Astráil agus i Meiriceá.
45. Chuir sé an t-ór faoi cheilt i gcoill ach tháinig na Gardaí air.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
i Meiriceá but sa Spáinn. Bet you actually know why.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Scooby wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
41. Bhain gortú ______ ach tá sé ______ bhaol anois.
42. Is ______ Corcaigh é ______ dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ______ Phádraig ______ tuath ______ Éirinn.
41. Bhain gortú dó ach tá sé ó bhaol anois.
42. Is as Corcaigh é ó dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ar Phádraig faoin tuath in Éirinn.

Quietly confident..... fingers crossed smiley le taisteáil.....

:good:

Would "de dhúchas" work?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
i Meiriceá but sa Spáinn. Bet you actually know why.
I wondered about 'sa' instead of 'i'. Should have thought longer! I know I should know why. :bash: Let me sleep on it.....

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Gumbi wrote:
Scooby wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
41. Bhain gortú ______ ach tá sé ______ bhaol anois.
42. Is ______ Corcaigh é ______ dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ______ Phádraig ______ tuath ______ Éirinn.
41. Bhain gortú dó ach tá sé ó bhaol anois.
42. Is as Corcaigh é ó dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ar Phádraig faoin tuath in Éirinn.

Quietly confident..... fingers crossed smiley le taisteáil.....

:good:

Would "de dhúchas" work?


At this point I am afraid to say that anything doesn't work! Using ó means He is a native Corkman. I can imagine de being used in sentences like: Tá sé de dhúchas Éireannach - He is of Irish heritage. I think!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Scooby wrote:
Gumbi wrote:
Scooby wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
41. Bhain gortú ______ ach tá sé ______ bhaol anois.
42. Is ______ Corcaigh é ______ dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ______ Phádraig ______ tuath ______ Éirinn.
41. Bhain gortú dó ach tá sé ó bhaol anois.
42. Is as Corcaigh é ó dhúchas.
43. Tá cónaí ar Phádraig faoin tuath in Éirinn.

Quietly confident..... fingers crossed smiley le taisteáil.....

:good:

Would "de dhúchas" work?


At this point I am afraid to say that anything doesn't work! Using ó means He is a native Corkman. I can imagine de being used in sentences like: Tá sé de dhúchas Éireannach - He is of Irish heritage. I think!

My feelings too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
i Meiriceá but sa Spáinn. Bet you actually know why.
I think it is something to do with putting 'sa' with countries that have 'An' in their name m.s. An Spáinn - sa Spáinn, An Fhrainc - sa Fhrainc, but putting 'i' with countries that don't have 'An' m.s. i Meiriceá, i gCeanada. Obviously when there are vowels, 'sa' becomes 'san' and 'i' becomes 'in'.

That is a mistake I should not have made. :rolleyes:

I wonder if I went back to school now, would I listen more??? :winkgrin:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1204 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group