It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 10:45 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Cool! I'm in Kerry right now, near enough to the Gaeltacht in Baile na Sceilge, or Ballinskelligs, in which, unfortunately, I've not heard much Irish :/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Errigal wrote:
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:

Breandán wrote:
Sounds like you boys have been Connachtised. :LOL:


That wouldn't be to bad, could be worse- could be Ulsterised :LOL: ..... Lughaidh :ninja:


As Corcaigh duit, de réir mo chuimhne. While you may not wish to be Ulsterised, it's Pulverised you'll be when Donegal get youse at Croke Park. Bye-bye, Kerry... Bye-bye, Cork. :good:


:LOL:

I hope ye do win, we haven't enough room in the trophy cabinet. We probably win it and give it to ye!

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 716
Saoirse wrote:

I decided to ignore the tribal wars going on in the background! :hide:


Off to Ciarraí amárach for a week to shake off any Ulsterisms that may have sneaked in in Gaoth Dobhair! :mrgreen:


Beidh na Ciarraígh féin ag iarraidh an tUlsterism ollmhór seo a shakáil off go fóill: Ciarraí 1-10 Dún na nGall 1-12 :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
So, it seems that the general consensus is that the answer is:

Ar mhiste leat fanacht liom ag geata na scoile?

I agree. But, FBG has me confused. It gives the following:
Ar mhiste duit fanacht tamall? - would it be inconvenient for you to stay a while?
Is miste liom faoi - I mind, care about it.

So, whatever the subtle differences in meaning (if any) in real terms between, 'Would you mind doing something?' / 'Would doing something matter to you?' / 'Would doing something be inconvenient to you?', it looks like duit fits in as an answer to my question too.

Thoughts anyone?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
"liom" is rather used with opinions, while "dom(h)" is rather used for what influence (?) it has on you, it's a bit like "b'fhearr domh" (it would be better for me, even if I don't like it) and "b'fhearr liom" (I'd prefer, ie. I consider it better).

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Lughaidh wrote:
"liom" is rather used with opinions, while "dom(h)" is rather used for what influence (?) it has on you, it's a bit like "b'fhearr domh" (it would be better for me, even if I don't like it) and "b'fhearr liom" (I'd prefer, ie. I consider it better).

Influence works fine :yes: Effect also.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
airgead a thabhairt do dhuine
but freagra a thabhairt ar dhuine
While I was trying - and failing miserably - to solve the next one (38), I came across this on potafocal:

tugann [duine] freagra

en
[somebody] answers, (literally) [somebody] gives an answer

chuir sé ceist orm, ach níor thug mé freagra dó

en
he asked me a question but I didn't answer him

http://www.potafocal.com/Search.aspx?Text=tabhair

It seems that both do and ar may be o.k. after 'freagra a thabhairt'?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
38. Thug an múinteoir ______ ______ a laghad ullmhúcháin a bhí déanta ______.
38. Thug an múinteoir ______ ______ a laghad ullmhúcháin a bhí déanta aige. I'm failing with this one. :bash: Níl tuairim dá laghad agam! :no: I can't even figure out what it is supposed to mean. :cry: Tá cabhair ag teastáil uaim.... :party:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Do is what I use. Now I think about it, I could say "Thug mé freagra ar an gceist" and "Thug mé freagra duit". So I suppose it depends on what you're referring to. I don't think I would, or even could, say "thug mé freagra don cheist". More input?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2012 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
airgead a thabhairt do dhuine
but freagra a thabhairt ar dhuine
While I was trying - and failing miserably - to solve the next one (38), I came across this on potafocal:

tugann [duine] freagra

en
[somebody] answers, (literally) [somebody] gives an answer

chuir sé ceist orm, ach níor thug mé freagra dó

en
he asked me a question but I didn't answer him

http://www.potafocal.com/Search.aspx?Text=tabhair

It seems that both do and ar may be o.k. after 'freagra a thabhairt'?


I'm going by what sounds right to me and by FGB. Maybe there's some subtle difference. Certainly it's freagra a thabhairt ar cheist, as to say freagra a thabhairt do cheist would mean giving the question an answer (as if it were capable of receiving it).

Maybe freagra a thabhairt ar dhuine has 'ceist' implied.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1652 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group