It is currently Fri 26 Jul 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2022 7:19 am 

Hi guys. I am a content writer trying to learn Irish so I joined this community for advice. What is the best way to learn Irish (mainly for content writing)?

I also have an astrology blog and want to translate a few articles from English to Irish so any advice would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2022 7:34 am 

kindfan wrote:
Hi guys. I am a content writer trying to learn Irish so I joined this community for advice. What is the best way to learn Irish (mainly for content writing)?

I also have an astrology blog and want to translate a few articles from English to Irish so any advice would be helpful.

Get hold of Teach Yourself Irish 1961 (the Myles Dillon edition) and start learning. You can download a PDF with embedded audio files from https://archive.org/details/TeachYourselfIrish

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov 2022 5:29 am 

djwebb2021 wrote:
kindfan wrote:

Get hold of Teach Yourself Irish 1961 (the Myles Dillon edition) and start learning. You can download a PDF with embedded audio files from https://archive.org/details/TeachYourselfIrish

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2022 8:35 am 

kindfan wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
kindfan wrote:

Get hold of Teach Yourself Irish 1961 (the Myles Dillon edition) and start learning. You can download a PDF with embedded audio files from https://archive.org/details/TeachYourselfIrish/

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll check it out.

It is unlikely that you can learn Irish well enough to make the content quality, if you look at it from the perspective of Irish language skills. I mean, good Irish can come from someone who's been speaking it since childhood. Everyone else might have it good, but not the best.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2022 10:54 am 

DarOv wrote:

It is unlikely that you can learn Irish well enough to make the content quality, if you look at it from the perspective of Irish language skills. I mean, good Irish can come from someone who's been speaking it since childhood. Everyone else might have it good, but not the best.

I disagree. It would definitely take a long time and lots of concentrated effort but there are plenty of Irish speakers of non-native backgrounds who have excellent Irish.

Take Chinua Achebe, Vladimir Nabokov or Samuel Beckett as examples of this, all have contributed to literature in a language they did not have natively.

I am definitely not trying to undermine the knowledge a native speaker has of their language, but a learner is capable of great knowledge too.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]