It is currently Mon 18 Jan 2021 4:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2020 3:22 am 

Hi! I am looking to get a tattoo with the correct Gaelic translation for the word “live.” I know this word can have many meanings and translations so I am hoping you can help! The purpose of this tattoo is a reminder to live life how I want to live it and not let other define it. Live freely. Does anyone know the correct translation for this word or concept?
Thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2020 6:15 am 

From the Irish online dictionary Foclóir, this:

he lives his life as a free spirit

caitheann sé a shaol de réir a chuid rialacha féin, caitheann sé a shaol ar a chomhairle féin

So if you are telling someone else to live (freely) then:

Caith do shaol de réir do chuid rialacha féin. OR Caith do shaol ar do chomairle féin;

that is, Live your life as a free spirit.

Or for yourself (focusing on "me"):

Caithim mo shaol de réir mo chuid rialacha féin. OR Caithim mo shaol ar mo chomairle féin;

that is, I live my life as a free spirit.

(I prefer "Caithim mo shaol ar mo chomairle féin" to the others as it is shorter and more about yourself.)

But there are probably a thousand ways to say this and it is best to wait for a lot more input and agreement on a good translation for a tattoo. And corrections, of course of the above.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2020 11:01 pm 

Fitzcm wrote:
Hi! I am looking to get a tattoo with the correct Gaelic translation for the word “live.” I know this word can have many meanings and translations so I am hoping you can help! The purpose of this tattoo is a reminder to live life how I want to live it and not let other define it. Live freely. Does anyone know the correct translation for this word or concept?
Thanks in advance!!

All good suggestions from Tim above. And it would be a bit odd to say "live" on its own like that in Irish we usually use sentences. But as one word you could maybe say:

Mair = live, as in survive

Bí beo = Be alive

Beocht = life

Bí slán = Be free/safe

Bí saor = Be free (not captive, but it also means cheap or inexpensive in other contexts)

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov 2020 2:07 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
Fitzcm wrote:
Thanks in advance!!

All good suggestions from Tim above. And it would be a bit odd to say "live" on its own like that in Irish we usually use sentences. But as one word you could maybe say:

Mair = live, as in survive

Bí beo = Be alive

Beocht = life

Bí slán = Be free/safe

Bí saor = Be free (not captive, but it also means cheap or inexpensive in other contexts)

:good:

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov 2020 2:10 pm 

Thank you! These are helpful!