It is currently Tue 02 Jun 2020 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 20 May 2020 7:20 pm 

https://nos.ie/gniomhaiochas/teanga/osc ... gaeltacht/

Ní féidir liom an abairte "Ní mó na sásta a bhí daoine áirithe nach in aice le campas na hollscoile féin a mhairfinnse agus mo chlár dochtúireachta idir lámha agam."

• Certain people who weren't beside the college campus itself were no more than happy to survive with my doctoral program in my hands
  • A certain someone [referring to the speaker himself?] was more than happy to survive away from the college campus itself

The article is in a difficult dialect, but most of it I'm getting through. Just stuck on that sentence so far.

PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2020 8:31 am 

See the example Ní mó ná sásta a bhí sé, he was not very pleased. in FGB entry for mór (you can also easily find it by searching ní mó there).

The sentence means: Certain people weren’t very pleased that I would not live in the vicinity of the university campus [lit. that it’s not by the campus … that I would live] when doing my doctoral program, ie. they were not pleased that the author lived in the country in Gaeltacht instead of the city by the campus when finishing his doctorate.

PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2020 11:57 am 

Ferdia wrote:
https://nos.ie/gniomhaiochas/teanga/osclaiodh-mintinn-agus-mo-chlo-ceart-tri-theagmhail-leis-an-ngaeltacht/

Ní féidir liom an abairte "Ní mó na sásta a bhí daoine áirithe nach in aice le campas na hollscoile féin a mhairfinnse agus mo chlár dochtúireachta idir lámha agam."

• Certain people who weren't beside the college campus itself were no more than happy to survive with my doctoral program in my hands
  • A certain someone [referring to the speaker himself?] was more than happy to survive away from the college campus itself

The article is in a difficult dialect, but most of it I'm getting through. Just stuck on that sentence so far.

This sentence is perfect Standard Irish.
Sílmeath already translated the sentence.

Some further remarks on its syntax might be helpful:

It is a two-part sentence, a main clause (1) and a dependent clause (2) (recognisable by "nach" - "that not")

(1) Ní mó ná sásta a bhí daoine áirithe - lit. "Is not more than pleased that some people were" = Some people were not so pleased

It is a focussed sentence - consisting of a copula main clause (1a) and a relative clause (1b)
(1a) Ní mó ná sásta
(1b) a bhí daoine áirithe

(2) nach in aice le campas na hollscoile féin a mhairfinnse agus mo chlár dochtúireachta idir lámha agam.[
lit. "that not near the campus of the university self that I would live ...

The dependent clause is a cleft, a focussed clause, too: "in aice le campas na hollscoile féin" is focussed (2a) and moved at the beginning of the clause, "nach" is a copula form. The rest of the sentence (2b) is a relative clause beginning with "a" : that it is not next to the campus ... that I live ...
(2a) nach in aice le campas na hollscoile féin
(2b) a mhairfinnse

And then there is (2c)
(2c) "agus mo chlár dochtúireachta idir lámha agam" which is a so called small clause, a circumstantial description without a verb of itself. The verb understood is a bheith.
lit. "and my doctoral programm (being) between hands at me" - when doing my doctoral program.

PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2020 10:54 pm 

Thanks for your help! That's brilliant.

And moving on a bit:

I mbun na cúlchainte a chuathas mar dhíoltas orm más ea – nár scaipeadh mar dhíoltas orm ráfla gur ar mhaithe le bheith ag luí le bean áirithe, sórt “cúgar” Gaeltachta, a bhí mo chinneadh cróga déanta agam!

Is that something like: "On the basis of the gossip that was created as revenge against me – there was a rumour as revenge against me about [ar mhaite le means 'about' in this context?] sleeping with a certain woman, a sort of "cougar" of the Gaeltacht – my daring decision was made!"

And further on:

Bhí fear ón áit i nganntanas tí le mo linnse ann

Does fear ón áit mean 'a local man'? So 'fear ón áit i nganntanas tí' is 'a local man in need of a house'?

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020 7:24 pm 

Ferdia wrote:
Thanks for your help! That's brilliant.

And moving on a bit:

I mbun na cúlchainte a chuathas mar dhíoltas orm más ea – nár scaipeadh mar dhíoltas orm ráfla gur ar mhaithe le bheith ag luí le bean áirithe, sórt “cúgar” Gaeltachta, a bhí mo chinneadh cróga déanta agam!

Is that something like: "On the basis of the gossip that was created as revenge against me – there was a rumour as revenge against me about [ar mhaite le means 'about' in this context?] sleeping with a certain woman, a sort of "cougar" of the Gaeltacht – my daring decision was made!"

And further on:

Bhí fear ón áit i nganntanas tí le mo linnse ann

Does fear ón áit mean 'a local man'? So 'fear ón áit i nganntanas tí' is 'a local man in need of a house'?

i mbun na cúlchainte - engaged in the backbiting
más ea - nár scaipeadh ... ráfla = that even so not (!) the rumour was scattered ...
gur ar mhaithe le luí le ... = that for the purpose of lying with ...

fear ón áit = yes, a local man