It is currently Tue 02 Jun 2020 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020 7:00 pm 

Hello,
I recently lost my father. In fact we bury him this Thursday and due to the current circumstances we cannot have the funeral wanted or I feel he deserved!

My father was a proud Irishman, although a long time resident of England, which is where I've been raised. A small positive from this dark time is the renewed contact with my father's side of the family, many of whom still reside in Ireland. One of whom shared an expression with me that resonated. This is what I've been given.
Dúiseacht le dúthrach le breach an lae = Wake with hope at the breaking of day , ( at dawn )

I wish to give me sisters engraved lockets. Please could someone help as I fear the saying above is too long so I wanted to just have "wake with hope". I would be very grateful if people could help me get this translated.

Thank you

John

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr 2020 9:06 am 

JohnP wrote:
Hello,
I recently lost my father. In fact we bury him this Thursday and due to the current circumstances we cannot have the funeral wanted or I feel he deserved!

My father was a proud Irishman, although a long time resident of England, which is where I've been raised. A small positive from this dark time is the renewed contact with my father's side of the family, many of whom still reside in Ireland. One of whom shared an expression with me that resonated. This is what I've been given.
Dúiseacht le dúthrach le breach an lae = Wake with hope at the breaking of day , ( at dawn )

I wish to give me sisters engraved lockets. Please could someone help as I fear the saying above is too long so I wanted to just have "wake with hope". I would be very grateful if people could help me get this translated.

Thank you

John

There's dúthracht.
It doesn't mean hope but devotion, fervour, zeal, earnestness, diligence, goodwill

Hope is dóchas.

le breacadh an lae - at the breaking of day (or: le dúiseacht an lae, le briseadh an lae)

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr 2020 2:08 pm 

Many thanks.
Would
Dúiseacht le dóchas
therefore be
wake with hope?

PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr 2020 11:37 am 

JohnP wrote:
Many thanks.
Would
Dúiseacht le dóchas
therefore be
wake with hope?

Yes.
dúiseacht is a verbal noun (to wake, waking, state of being awake)
The verb is dúisigh
So, as a command or request: Dúisigh le dóchas