It is currently Sat 25 May 2019 4:20 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tattoo help
PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2019 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 08 Jan 2019 5:27 pm
Posts: 3
Looking for a translation on:

"Family over everything"

Know the different forms of "family" in gaelic. Leaning towards "teaghlach".


"teaghlach thar gach rud" is what I have so far. Is this grammatically correct though?

Thanks for any help.

JK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo help
PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2019 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1426
J_K wrote:
Looking for a translation on:
"Family over everything"
Know the different forms of "family" in gaelic. Leaning towards "teaghlach".
"teaghlach thar gach rud" is what I have so far. Is this grammatically correct though?


What you have works, literally, but this request has been made at the forum several times, and the consensus seemed to be in the past that this sounds better in Irish:

Teaghlach thar gach uile ní
Literally: Family above every other thing

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo help
PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 08 Jan 2019 5:27 pm
Posts: 3
I apologize for the repeat question then. I figured it would have been asked, but browsed multiple pages and had yet to find it.

I really appreciate the response. Figured what I had was very literal and not really correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo help
PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 191
CaoimhínSF wrote:
J_K wrote:
Looking for a translation on:
"Family over everything"
Know the different forms of "family" in gaelic. Leaning towards "teaghlach".
"teaghlach thar gach rud" is what I have so far. Is this grammatically correct though?


What you have works, literally, but this request has been made at the forum several times, and the consensus seemed to be in the past that this sounds better in Irish:

Teaghlach thar gach uile ní
Literally: Family above every other thing


:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo help
PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019 3:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3484
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
tiomluasocein wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:
J_K wrote:
Looking for a translation on:
"Family over everything"
Know the different forms of "family" in gaelic. Leaning towards "teaghlach".
"teaghlach thar gach rud" is what I have so far. Is this grammatically correct though?


What you have works, literally, but this request has been made at the forum several times, and the consensus seemed to be in the past that this sounds better in Irish:

Teaghlach thar gach uile ní
Literally: Family above every other thing


:good:


I can second this.

Don't worry about asking again. While we've had it before, that was mostly on an old forum that is now closed. The whole group moved over here. :winkgrin:

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Redwolf and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group