It is currently Wed 21 Nov 2018 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2018 4:11 pm 

I want to expirement with the shadowing technique https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=130bOvRpt24

I need an Assimil style course for it, basically lots of uninterrupted audio of native speakers that gets progressively harder accompanied by a bilingual text

Not sure what exists for Irish, I know there is a linguaphone Irish course but it's out of print and I don't know how to get that

GRMMA!

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2018 12:54 pm 

Well, I'd guess that nothing like that exists, but some partial solutions would be:

1. Buy books with audio recordings, and read them aloud while listening to the CD. One problem is that there are a good few books that cost €15 and come with CDs which only have ten minutes of audio. Maybe one good value option would be the four-book set "Fionn Mac Cumhaill Boscra Tadhg Mac Dhonnagáin". I don't know how long the audio is but I'd guess it would be at least 45 mins, maybe a good bit more.

http://www.siopagaeilge.ie/products/Lea ... 3d-103.htm

I saw that box set for €30 in An Siopa Leabhar on Harcourt St. in Dublin.

Another advantage of that set is that Tadhg has other materials with recordings, so if you're looking to learn a specific accent (and I recommend being as specific as possible!) then Tadhg is a good option. He's from Mayo, living in Connemara.

2. Bilingual books. There's the six little books of the "Fadó Irish Legend Series", which are good. But there're also bilingual books to be avoided. I can't remember the names but I saw a few in An Siopa Leabhar which had Irish on one side, and if you flip the book over and start reading from the other end you get the English version. So the only way to see the translation for a sentence is by closing the book, flipping it, flick to the corresponding page for the back, then close, flip, open the other page and continue reading. So if you're buying online, just keep in mind that not all bilingual books have the two languages straight across from each other.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct 2018 7:16 pm 

Assimil have in fact published 'Irlandais de Poche' which is compiled by Ciarán Mac Guil. When it came out, there were quite a few mistakes in it and I'm not at all sure that the latest edition has been revised. Unfortunately there's no CD that goes with it.

http://fr.assimil.com/methodes/irlandais-de-poche

(I even sent a copy to Bríd Mhór to help her with her French ;) )