It is currently Sat 20 Oct 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ballybrack
PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar 2018 7:34 pm 

Hi,
I live in the townland of Ballybrack in the parish of Goleen, West Cork.

www,logainm.ie gives the Irish as An Baile Breac. This seems to translate as "Trout Town" which doesn't make a lot of sense. There may have been sea trout in the inlet below but I cannot see that as a likely name.

A old local resident in 1936 stated "Some people state that the townland got its name from all the houses that were in it long ago, and others say that it is from the white rocks that are there".

I would really appreciate any ideas anyone may have.

Thanks
Aidan

Post subject: Re: Ballybrack
PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar 2018 8:01 pm 

Gunpoint wrote:
Hi,
I live in the townland of Ballybrack in the parish of Goleen, West Cork.

www,logainm.ie gives the Irish as An Baile Breac. This seems to translate as "Trout Town" which doesn't make a lot of sense. There may have been sea trout in the inlet below but I cannot see that as a likely name.

breac is also an adjective:

Quote:
breac 2, a1. 1. Speckled, dappled. Bó bhreac, speckled cow. Capall ~, dapple-grey horse. Éadach ~, variegated cloth. Cuilt bhreac, patchwork quilt. Lorgaí ~a, toasted shins. Tá na puint bhreaca aige, he has plenty of ready cash. Tá an áit ~, ~ ballach, leo, the whole place is dotted with them. S.a. BALL 8, CAILLEACH 13, CAT 1, GALAR, SNAG 21. 2. (Of conditions, health, etc.) Indifferent. Aimsir, sláinte, bhreac, middling weather, health. Obair bhreac, not very good work.

http://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/breac

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2018 11:05 am 

I think it is more likely as Labhrás said that it is "Speckled Town", speckled meaning the houses are just dotted around the area rather than being an identifiable town.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2018 10:44 pm 

Quote:
I think it is more likely as Labhrás said that it is "Speckled Town"

The Oxford Dictionary of British Place Names agrees (it has really good coverage for all of Ireland), except that it says that it means "speckled townland".

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2018 8:41 pm 

I think that's just down to how you translate Baile, since it sort of just means village/town/townland, i.e. almost anything smaller than a city and above a hamlet.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal