It is currently Sun 19 May 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: (SL) "race of things"
PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018 7:53 pm 

So, I have an odd question. Like I've said before, I'm using Old Irish language in the world I've created in my story. If it helps for which 'kind' of Irish (sorry it's not a language I'm super familiar with), I'm using aes sídhe instead of aos sí.

In it, humans are referred to as "things," which I've had translated for me as Rud. The "world of things" - Rudalann - is their word for planet earth. And then I'm looking for a similar adaptation for "humanity" - or "race of things" or the like. I've been given Shiol Rudai. Is that accurate? Any more insights? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jan 2018 9:13 pm 

thegirlriot wrote:
So, I have an odd question. Like I've said before, I'm using Old Irish language in the world I've created in my story. If it helps for which 'kind' of Irish (sorry it's not a language I'm super familiar with), I'm using aes sídhe instead of aos sí.

In it, humans are referred to as "things," which I've had translated for me as Rud. The "world of things" - Rudalann - is their word for planet earth. And then I'm looking for a similar adaptation for "humanity" - or "race of things" or the like. I've been given Shiol Rudai. Is that accurate? Any more insights? Thank you.

That could work, given your parameters (especially the use of the word "rud" for a person), but the "sh" letter combination doesn't occur at the beginning of a stand-alone word. The "h" gets added in some cases, depending on what comes before, but would never be added if there's nothing in front of the word. Whoever suggested that may have been confused by the fact that "síol", as pronounced, starts with an "sh" sound. So, you'd have "síol rudaí" instead.

However, síol is really used more for "progeny" than for "race". Another word for "race" (or people, tribe, gender, or the like) is cineál, and that would probably sound better in this context, as in "cineál rudaí". This would also help avoid the possible ambiguity which would be present if you used síol, since síol also means "seed", and it's use for "progeny" or "race" is similar to the English use of "seed" in expressions like "the seed of Cain".

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018 4:17 am 

Are you really looking for Old Irish? Because what you're posting here isn't Old Irish...it's just contemporary Irish with pre-spelling-reform spellings.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018 11:12 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
Are you really looking for Old Irish? Because what you're posting here isn't Old Irish...it's just contemporary Irish with pre-spelling-reform spellings.

Redwolf

I completely forgot to mention that! Red is correct, and few people on the forum have much knowledge of Old Irish.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2018 4:37 pm 

Thank you so much for your feedback! I want to do the language correctly. I would love to get in touch with someone who would be willing to work with me on this project a little - it wouldn't be a lot of terms and I would be happy to give credit for the translations. Old Irish would be great, as the words used would have predated Christian conversion and still survived into use today.

Does anyone have a Discord they'd be willing to chat with me through? Or an email? Or should I just... make a running thread of 'terms for the story'? Thank you so much for your help, I just want to do right by the forum.

I also have phrases that need modern Irish assistance - I found this sayings on a website:
Dá fhada an lá tagann an tráthnóna. - No matter how long the day, the evening comes.
Ná lagadh Dia do lámh. - May God never weaken your hand - and I'd like to replace "Dia" with the sidhe or appropriate.

Thank you again!!

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2018 9:25 pm 

There's this website that you might like to look at - www.dil.ie

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018 1:48 am 

Thank you for the dictionary, but as I'm often looking for arrangements of words into unusual phrases, I need to actually talk to someone who can help me sort things out, as above when folks were super helpful.

I also gave more thought to the "Old Irish" question and there are aspects I'm not sure about when choosing a time period for the dialect. I'd love to talk to someone who could help me organize a set of terms/phrases to be all in the same Irish timeframe and correct.

Would it be best to make a new thread with the list of the phrases, or? Would someone be willing to have a chat with me?

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018 6:05 pm 

I've moved this thread here for ease:
http://www.irishlanguageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5350

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2018 11:57 pm 

I responded further at that other thread. I'm locking this thread, so that you get all further responses in one place there.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]