It is currently Wed 21 Apr 2021 2:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tattoo Translation
PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 3:35 am 

I'm looking to get "family is everything" tattooed on my wrist. The Irish translation that I found on a couple different websites was "is teaghlaigh rud". I just wanted to see if that was right?

Post subject: Re: Tattoo Translation
PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 5:01 am 

erinhelbig wrote:
I'm looking to get "family is everything" tattooed on my wrist. The Irish translation that I found on a couple different websites was "is teaghlaigh rud". I just wanted to see if that was right?

No, that's not right at all. At best, it could mean "families are a thing."

To help you with this translation, we first have to know what you mean by family. May seem like an obvious thing, but Irish has several words for family, so finding the best one for you will take a bit of thinking. Are you thinking of your entire family? Just your spouse and kids? Just you and your siblings? It will make a difference.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 1:38 pm 

Oh wow, thank you Redwolf! I am actually talking about my whole family (parents and kids). Hope that helps with the translation!

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 2:53 pm 

erinhelbig wrote:
Oh wow, thank you Redwolf! I am actually talking about my whole family (parents and kids). Hope that helps with the translation!

I'm going to throw a couple out there, but do wait for more input (you want at least three here to be in agreement for anything potentially permanent).

1) Sí mo mhuintir mo chuid den tsaol: My family/folk are my share of life. "Cuid den tsaol" is a very Irish way of putting this.

1) Mo mhuintir thar gach uile ní: My family/people above all

"Muintir" is probably the closest to the meaning you want for family. "Teaghlach" is typically used for the household, and can be used for the so-called "nuclear family." "Clann" typically refers to just the children of a particular family, or all the descendants of a particular ancestor. "Muintir" can refer to the entire family (close and extended). It can also refer to "people" as in "the people of Ireland" or "the local people."

Do be aware, though, that usage may vary from one part of Ireland to another.

Also do let us know if this is going down the wrong track. "Family is everything" can mean different things to different people, so feel free to elaborate/clarify.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 2:58 pm 

Okay thank you again Redwolf! What I'm going for is "family is the most important thing" or what you had "family above all".

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 3:09 pm 

Also, the shorter, the better!!

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 3:34 pm 

erinhelbig wrote:
Also, the shorter, the better!!

I'm thinking that "Mo mhuintir thar gach eile ní" may be the shortest way. You could probably drop "eile" (wait for more input on that). I'm reluctant to drop "mo," given the possible ambiguity of "muintir" without it, but it may be fine.

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 3:39 pm 

Okay! When I typed in "Mo mhuintir thar gach ní" it came up with "My family over everything" which is what I'm going for! Thank you so much for all of your help Redwolf!! Does anyone have anymore input on the phrase "Mo mhuintir thar gach ní"?

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 3:41 pm 

erinhelbig wrote:
Okay! When I typed in "Mo mhuintir thar gach ní" it came up with "My family over everything" which is what I'm going for! Thank you so much for all of your help Redwolf!! Does anyone have anymore input on the phrase "Mo mhuintir thar gach ní"?

I have to ask where you're typing it in. If it's Google trashlate, that's an unusually good result from that turkey.

Definitely don't do ANYTHING without at least two more people here on this site agreeing.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016 3:44 pm 

Yeah it is Google translate. I have the appointment for the tattoo in 1 week, so if anyone has any input on "Mo mhuintir thar gach ní" a quick reply would be greatly appreciated :)