It is currently Fri 24 Jan 2020 11:26 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug 2014 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 14 Aug 2014 9:46 am
Posts: 1
Have been trying to locate a word or phrase to mean "chosen family" as in a reference to friends that are closer than actual family. The only word I can find is muintir. Is this the right word? There are four of us getting similar claddaghs with the same words, we just want to ensure we get it right. Many thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug 2014 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3511
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
beth wrote:
Have been trying to locate a word or phrase to mean "chosen family" as in a reference to friends that are closer than actual family. The only word I can find is muintir. Is this the right word? There are four of us getting similar claddaghs with the same words, we just want to ensure we get it right. Many thanks!


"Muintir" is a bit of a complicated word. It can mean "family" (especially extended family), but it also means "people" (as in "Muintir na hÉireann": The people of Ireland)

I think, to make things clear, I might say something like "Muintir ar mo rogha/mhian féin" -- A family/people of my own choosing.

Wait for more input.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2014 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2781
Redwolf wrote:
beth wrote:
Have been trying to locate a word or phrase to mean "chosen family" as in a reference to friends that are closer than actual family. The only word I can find is muintir. Is this the right word? There are four of us getting similar claddaghs with the same words, we just want to ensure we get it right. Many thanks!


"Muintir" is a bit of a complicated word. It can mean "family" (especially extended family), but it also means "people" (as in "Muintir na hÉireann": The people of Ireland)

I think, to make things clear, I might say something like "Muintir ar mo rogha/mhian féin" -- A family/people of my own choosing.

Wait for more input.

Redwolf


"muintir mo rogha" I think that sounds nice. With or without "féin" added.
Personally I'd leave out "ar".

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug 2014 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3557
Location: An Astráil
cairde gaoil is often translated as "friends and relatives" or "dear friends" but literally means "friends of/who have a kindred feeling".

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug 2014 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2781
Breandán wrote:
cairde gaoil is often translated as "friends and relatives" or "dear friends" but literally means "friends of/who have a kindred feeling".


That's a good one too. :yes:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group