It is currently Fri 18 Jan 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2018 10:14 pm 

Hello Everyone,

Both my fiance and I fell in love with Ireland - though separately, prior to us meeting. Years after we both visited on our own, Ireland brought the two of us together and we quickly bonded over our shared interest. The beautiful land and culture of Ireland became a theme within our relationship, and we vowed that we would travel there together one day. That dream came true several months ago when we returned to the place that was responsible for the formation of the amazing bond that we share. I decided there was no better place to propose than the location that started it all, and fortunately luck was on my side as she said yes! We commemorated the occasion by picking up a stunning representation of the eternity knot carved out of Irish spalted beech wood by a talented local artist.

Fast forward several months and we are now planning our wedding. I wanted to do something special for her, so I reached out to the artist who carved the souvenir we brought back. He agreed to work with me on the project, and I am excited because I know she will love the finished piece. This piece will be rather large and displayed above the hearth or over a threshold in the home that we are building together. As such, I want to include an appropriate phrase (in Gaelic) that helps capture the purpose, meaning, and symbolism of the carving. I don't trust online translators, and to be honest, I believe a native phrase that lacks literal translation may be best.

So what am I looking for? Something short enough to be easily incorporated into the art; a phrase that really encompasses our commitment to each other; something related to family, home, eternal or never-ending love, past/present/future or all of the above. I know it's a rather vague description, but I'm not really sure English words can do it justice.

I'm open to suggestions and more than happy to provide clarification should anyone have any questions. Thanks so much in advance for helping me make this extra special for our special day!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2018 12:16 am 

Here's a traditional expression which you might consider:

[Is tusa] mo chuid den tsaol mhór.

Literally, it translates as "[You are] my bit of the great big world", but figuratively it means more like "You are my everything".

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2018 6:41 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Here's a traditional expression which you might consider:

[Is tusa] mo chuid den tsaol mhór.

Literally, it translates as "[You are] my bit of the great big world", but figuratively it means more like "You are my everything".

This is a good one. Another that I like is:

Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

My heart is within you.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2018 4:35 pm 

Thank you both so very much for taking the time to respond! I do like both of those very much, I'm wondering if there are any others that might embody the spirit of family, togetherness, or home? I'm thinking that since this will be something that we will likely display in our home until death, maybe a second phrase that takes into account our family oriented roots would be a nice addition. I believe I will be able to get creative and incorporate both since there will be one central design (representing family) and two outer designs (representing love).

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2018 5:25 pm 

Another suggestion, it's from a prayer for lighting a fire in the hearth.

Go bhfadaítear féin inár gcroí istigh aibhleog an ghrà.
May the spark of love be kindled in our hearts.

The original line is 'A Dhé, (f)adaigh féin i mo chroí istigh aibhleog an ghrá....' - O God, kindle in my heart the spark of love....