It is currently Sun 24 Mar 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 2:28 pm 

Hi everyone! Hoping that you all can put your heads together to help me with tattoo translation. My twin sister and I are working on a tattoo design that we will both get. Our goal is to find a descriptive translation that would givie the meaning of soul mates but without a romantic meaning. My sister initially came across the word: Anamchara, which we thought meant Soul Fried. Then we came across an article that said that really means spiritual advisor and instead recommended the word Sonuachar, but it seems like this refers more to a spouse/intimate relationship. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 6:17 pm 

bglee1 wrote:
Hi everyone! Hoping that you all can put your heads together to help me with tattoo translation. My twin sister and I are working on a tattoo design that we will both get. Our goal is to find a descriptive translation that would givie the meaning of soul mates but without a romantic meaning. My sister initially came across the word: Anamchara, which we thought meant Soul Fried. Then we came across an article that said that really means spiritual advisor and instead recommended the word Sonuachar, but it seems like this refers more to a spouse/intimate relationship. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

The original (and current dictionary) definition of "anamchara" is spiritual advisor/confessor. Some use it for "soulmate" as you describe, but I personally find it rather iffy, given that its religious sense is still used and recognized.

For the "non-lover" type of soulmate, some suggestions I usually make include:

Cara mo chléibh: Bosom friend

Dlúthchara: Best/close friend

Cara m'Anama: Friend of my soul

Wait for more.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 7:17 pm 

We've had long and involved discussions about this topic, which resulted in the following guidance. Sounds like the middle option, or possibly the first, is what you're looking for.

I think we should update this spiel with the options Redwolf mentioned.

mhwombat wrote:
Irish people tend to use the word "soulmate" to mean two people who seem fated to be friends, e.g., they share an unusual hobby or something like that.

Americans tend to use the word to mean two people who seem fated to be lovers. This comes from Plato's Symposium. Humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces, but Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them.

If you want an Irish word for soulmate, you have several options, depending on what you want it to mean:

* If you mean someone you turn to for spiritual guidance, the best word for that is probably anamchara (literally, "soul friend")
* If you mean a kindred spirit (possibly but not necessarily a lover), the best word for that is probably buanchara (permanent/lifelong friend), duine na n-árann (friend of my heart), or anamchara (literally, "soul friend")
* If you mean a lover (perhaps your perfect match, possibly someone you were "fated" to be with), there are a few words to choose from: fíorghrá (true love), síorghrá (eternal love), céadsearc (first love, but "first" here means "primary", not necessarily your first infatuation), sonuachar (spouse, partner), caoimh-leannán (sweet-heart), or duine na n-árann (friend of my heart) . You might also use anamchara (literally, "soul friend"); this usage is perhaps controversial but seems to be gaining ground.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 8:49 pm 

Thanks so much for the help and varying selections! I am thinking we'll go with the first one. Any chance someone would be able to write it phonetically so that I don't butcher the pronunciation?

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 10:24 pm 

bglee1 wrote:
Thanks so much for the help and varying selections! I am thinking we'll go with the first one. Any chance someone would be able to write it phonetically so that I don't butcher the pronunciation?

Which one is that?

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 10:40 pm 

Oops, sorry for not clarifying: Cara mo chléibh

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 11:44 pm 

bglee1 wrote:

Thank you!

Anamchara/ Anamchairde in Ireland, where Irish is spoken as a living language, means both

(i) spiritual guide or confessor, chaplain, spiritual adviser
(ii) soulmate, soulfriend, regardless of a romantic relationship.

Dineen L.44.

All the yanks , Canadians, Australians etc seem to think they understand this word better based on a very dodgy original interpretation on the IGT.

In Ireland an anamchara is a soulmate......the rest of the world must catch up.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013 11:55 pm 

bglee1 wrote:
Oops, sorry for not clarifying: Cara mo chléibh

Thanks!

Very roughly:

KA-ruh muh khlayv

That "kh" is an aspirated sound...a little bit like a harsh "h." Possibly someone can make a sound file for you.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013 12:33 am 

Image Down boy! @Rossai, that "All the yanks , Canadians, Australians etc" comment is inaccurate. In fact, almost no-one who has been involved in the discussion, regardless of nationality, has voiced a strong opinion. All most people care about is providing information to help someone make an informed decision. If someone wants to use the word anamchara, or to avoid it, it's absolutely fine with me. That writeup I posted was a compromise based on a long hard discussion. I just checked that thread, and you were one of the key participants in that discussion. In fact, you called the writeup "brilliant stuff". (Cad é an Gaeilge ar "Booyah!"?) Image

http://that other site/translation/topic96378.html

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013 12:53 am 

I suppose it would be "mo cheol thú" my furry friend. :wave: Once we keep perspective....for the craic!