It is currently Tue 06 Oct 2026 3:10 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
What would be an idiomatic translation for "thar meon?" Came across it in a song. I know the literal meaning, but I'm guessing there's a more idiomatic way to render it in English.

GRMA

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Redwolf wrote:
What would be an idiomatic translation for "thar meon?" Came across it in a song. I know the literal meaning, but I'm guessing there's a more idiomatic way to render it in English.

GRMA

Redwolf
I'm not sure this helps, but it may be useful! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1190

Perhaps if you give the line of the song, if there is a more idiomatic way to express it, it may be easier to figure out/recognise?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Would "beyond expectation" fit the context?

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Breandán wrote:
Would "beyond expectation" fit the context?


I prefer your previous interpretation on the other thread which we should probably now merge with this. We must get these newcomers to stop opening multiple threads on the same subject!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
We must get these newcomers to stop opening multiple threads on the same subject!
:rofl:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
God, I must be brain dead! I completely forgot that I had asked this before! :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Redwolf wrote:
God, I must be brain dead! I completely forgot that I had asked this before! :oops:
The rest of us recognise that it is merely a strategy to build your post count...... :bolt:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar Meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
LOL! How 'bout I just lock this one, and we'll let my senior moment fade into oblivion...

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1316 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group