It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 5:34 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
I sort of said I'd do this for somebody.
They are the road instructions for GPS devices like Tom Tom and Garmin.
Improvements on the translations would be much appreciated.
Especially if they can be shortened without sounding odd.

2ndLeft.ogg - 'Take the second left' TÓG AN DARNA BÓTHAR AR CHLÉ
2ndRight.ogg - 'Take the second right' TÓG AN DARNA BÓTHAR AR DHEIS
3rdLeft.ogg - 'Take the third left' TÓG AN 3Ú BÓTHAR AR CHLÉ
3rdRight.ogg - 'Take the third right' TÓG AN 3Ú BÓTHAR AR DHEIS
After.ogg - 'After' THÉIS
AhExit.ogg - 'Exit ahead' TÁ AN BEALACH AMACH AMACH ROMHAT (should I leave it as Exit? Amach romhat is what I'd say but maybe just saying "romhat" is enough in these circumstances)
AhExitLeft.ogg - 'ahead, Exit left' AMACH ROMHAT, BEALACH AMACH AR CHLÉ
AhExitRight.ogg - 'ahead, Exit right' AMACH ROMHAT, BEALACH AMACH AR DHEIS
AhFerry.ogg - 'Ferry ahead' TÁ BÁD FARANTÓIREACHTA AMACH ROMHAT
AhKeepLeft.ogg - 'Ahead, keep left' AMACH ROMHAT, COINNIGH AR CHLÉ
AhKeepRight.ogg - 'Ahead, keep right' AMACH ROMHAT, COINNIGH AR DHEIS
AhLeftTurn.ogg - 'Left turn ahead' TÁ CASADH AR CHLÉ AMACH ROMHAT
AhRightTurn.ogg - 'Right turn ahead' TÁ CASADH AR DHEIS AMACH ROMHAT
AhUTurn.ogg - 'U-turn ahead' TÁ CASADH-U AMACH ROMHAT // TÁ “CÁS THARTIMPEALL” AMACH ROMHAT ???
Arrive.ogg - 'You have reached your destination' TÁ TÚ THÉIS THÍOCHT AR DO CHEANN SCRÍBE
BearLeft.ogg - 'Bear left' ??? What is the difference between keep left and bear left??
BearRight.ogg - 'Bear right' ???
Charge.ogg - 'Congestion charge' TÁILLE PLÓDAITHE
Depart.ogg - 'Depart' (only heard when you tap Test when selecting a voice) FÁG
KeepLeft.ogg - 'Keep left' COINNIGH AR CHLÉ
KeepRight.ogg - 'Keep right' COINNIGH AR DHEIS
LnLeft.ogg - 'Stay in the left lane' FÁN SA LÁNA AR CHLÉ
LnRight.ogg - 'Stay in the right lane' FÁN SA LÁNA AR DHEIS
Meters.ogg - 'Metres' MEADAR
MwEnter.ogg - 'Take the motorway' TÓG AN mótarbhealach
MwExit.ogg - 'Leave the motorway' FÁG AN mótarbhealach
MwExitLeft.ogg - 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the left' FÁG AN mótarbhealach AG AN BEALACH AMACH AR CHLÉ
MwExitRight.ogg - 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the right' FÁG AN mótarbhealach AG AN BEALACH AMACH AR DHEIS
RbBack.ogg - 'Go around the roundabout' GABH TIMPEALL AN TIMPEALLÁN
RbCross.ogg - 'Cross the roundabout' GABH TRASNA AN TIMPEALLÁN
RbExit1.ogg - 'First exit' AN CHÉAD BHEALACH AMACH
RbExit2.ogg - 'Second exit' AN DARNA BEALACH AMACH
RbExit3.ogg - 'Third exit' AN TRÍÚ BEALACH AMACH
RbExit4.ogg - 'Fourth exit' AN CEATHRÚ BEALACH AMACH
RbExit5.ogg - 'Fifth exit' AN CÚIGIÚ BEALACH AMACH
RbExit6.ogg - 'Sixth exit' AN SÉÚ BEALACH AMACH
RbLeft.ogg - 'Go left on the roundabout' GO AR CHLÉ AR AN DTIMPEALLÁN
RbRight.ogg - 'Go right on the roundabout' GO AR DHEIS AR AN DTIMPEALLÁN
RoadEnd.ogg - 'At the end of the road' AG DEIRIDH AN BHÓTHAIR
SharpLeft.ogg - 'Sharp left' CÁS GO GÉAR AR CHLÉ
SharpRight.ogg - 'Sharp right' CÁS GO GÉAR AR DHEIS
Straight.ogg - 'Go straight on' COINNIGH ORT
TakeFerry.ogg - 'Take the ferry' TÓG AN BÁD FARANTÓIREACHTA
Then.ogg - 'Then' ANSIN
TryUTurn.ogg - 'Turn around when possible' CAS THAR TIMPEALL, NUAIR IS FÉIDIR É
TurnLeft.ogg - 'Turn left' CÁS AR CHLÉ
TurnRight.ogg - 'Turn Right' CÁS AR DHEIS
UTurn.ogg - 'Make a U-turn' DÉAN CASADH U OR CÁS THAR TIMPEALL
Yards.ogg - 'Yards' SLAT

GRMA !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
It might be a bit off topic or perhaps not, anyway over here there's a stand-up comic whose family were originally from Morocco who did a very funny sketch of how a Moroccan would give GPS directions in his home country for the benefit of people living in France - I'm sure this could be typical in the Gaeltacht as well -
No, don't go down that road, no those cousins that live down there they're not worth going to see, don't go anywhere near them, they'll take everything off you in five minutes flat. Turn left a bit further along there (yes I know what I'm talking about, it's not where you wanted to go, I know that) you just have to go there, my mother's best friend makes the best couscous you'll ever have in your life and then there's my other cousin who's got a fantastic shop, that's only ten minutes away on the left, - mind that pothole when you go round that corner, my uncle lost his gold tooth when he fell over there - before you get to your hotel - it won't be taking too much of your time, it'll be OK if you have a reverse gear somewhere in the car (that's what somebody said to me in Kerry, a long while ago - I swear it's true, that's what he said) don't worry. srl srl srl.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
My uncle giving directions to an American:

"To Ballyjamesduff? No bother, turn left at Franky's house, he's great craic altogether, if you get to the old Freehill house you're not too far off."

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
:good:

AhExit.ogg - 'Exit ahead' TÁ AN BEALACH AMACH AMACH ROMHAT - I would leave this as Romhat.

ahead, Exit left - AMACH ROMHAT, BEALACH AMACH AR CHLÉ- What about Bealach/ slí amach ar chlé romhat?

For this one though is it suppose to be an order or a suggestion? Cos I think mine sounds like a suggestion whereas the other sounds like an order.

TÁ BÁD FARANTÓIREACHTA AMACH ROMHAT- If your trying to save space you could drop the "Tá". I like the use of "Amach" here,

TÁ “CAS THARTIMPEALL” AMACH ROMHAT - I like how that sounds, typo on Cas.

FAN SA LÁNA AR CHLÉ
Fan sa lána ar dheis

Metres' MEADAR = Méadair; a metre = méadar

FÁG AN mótarbhealach AG AN mBEALACH AMACH AR CHLÉ
MwExitRight.ogg - 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the right' FÁG AN mótarbhealach AG AN mBEALACH AMACH AR DHEIS

RbBack.ogg - 'Go around the roundabout' GABH TIMPEALL AN TIMPEALLÁIN
RbCross.ogg - 'Cross the roundabout' GABH TRASNA AN TIMPEALLÁIN

Slight typo, TG after tr(e)asna and t(h)impeall as they were nouns originally.

Quick question, have ye darna in Conamara? Its tarna or tara in Munster usually.

Go left on the roundabout' GABH AR CHLÉ AR AN dTIMPEALLÁN*

This is correct for Munster Irish. The T isn't usually inflected in the other dialects. I would suggest have the urú in lower case anyhow.

GABH AR DHEIS AR AN dTIMPEALLÁN

At the end of the road' AG DEIRIDH AN BHÓTHAIR

AG DEIREADH* AN BHÓTHAIR

*Unless Deiridh (the genitive) is used as a verbal noun in Conamara?

'Sharp left' CÁS GO GÉAR AR CHLÉ 'Sharp right' CÁS GO GÉAR AR DHEIS

CAS

As the emphasis in this sentence is on sharp; Cas ar dheis go géar?

Turn around when possible' CAS THAR TIMPEALL, NUAIR IS FÉIDIR É

Cas Timpeall/ iompaigh, nuair is féidir?

or what about the ordering autonomous tense as in ná caithtear tobac; nuair is féadtar???

Turn left' CÁS AR CHLÉ
- 'Turn Right' CÁS AR DHEIS

CAS

Cian

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
An Lon Dubh wrote:
My uncle giving directions to an American:

"To Ballyjamesduff? No bother, turn left at Franky's house, he's great craic altogether, if you get to the old Freehill house you're not too far off."


:LOL: Or the joke in Killinascully;

Randy the American (R): What's the quickest way to get to Killinascully
Pat Short (P): Are you walkin' or drivin' boss?
(R): I'm driving
(P): That'da be the quickest way alright.

Some of my other favourites from real life:

If you come to the Big Red house, you've gone to far.

twill be on your right there, you can't miss it

Telling someone how to get to your house: Do you know the big, huge estate on the top of the hill....ya....well not that one, the one next to it.


We're just as bad at describing people;

Do you know your man who had a bit of a fling...I don't...ah u do.

or to go about things the long way around,

You know your man with the beard and he never shuts up...ya, well his wife's brother is dead.

Cian

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Quote:
Do you know your man who ...


I've always wondered about the very common "your man" type of expression in Irish English. Does it have some original basis in Irish, like An bhfuil aithne agat ar d'fhear sin?

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
Do you know your man who ...


I've always wondered about the very common "your man" type of expression in Irish English. Does it have some original basis in Irish, like An bhfuil aithne agat ar d'fhear sin?


Ya it does,

Mo dhuine is used in Irish instead of "your man".

An bhfuil aithne agat ar mo dhuine?

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
:good:

AhExit.ogg - 'Exit ahead' TÁ AN BEALACH AMACH AMACH ROMHAT - I would leave this as Romhat.

ahead, Exit left - AMACH ROMHAT, BEALACH AMACH AR CHLÉ- What about Bealach/ slí amach ar chlé romhat?

For this one though is it suppose to be an order or a suggestion? Cos I think mine sounds like a suggestion whereas the other sounds like an order.

TÁ BÁD FARANTÓIREACHTA AMACH ROMHAT- If your trying to save space you could drop the "Tá". I like the use of "Amach" here,

TÁ “CAS THARTIMPEALL” AMACH ROMHAT - I like how that sounds, typo on Cas.

FAN SA LÁNA AR CHLÉ
Fan sa lána ar dheis

Metres' MEADAR = Méadair; a metre = méadar

FÁG AN mótarbhealach AG AN mBEALACH AMACH AR CHLÉ
MwExitRight.ogg - 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the right' FÁG AN mótarbhealach AG AN mBEALACH AMACH AR DHEIS

RbBack.ogg - 'Go around the roundabout' GABH TIMPEALL AN TIMPEALLÁIN
RbCross.ogg - 'Cross the roundabout' GABH TRASNA AN TIMPEALLÁIN

Slight typo, TG after tr(e)asna and t(h)impeall as they were nouns originally.

Quick question, have ye darna in Conamara? Its tarna or tara in Munster usually.

Go left on the roundabout' GABH AR CHLÉ AR AN dTIMPEALLÁN*

This is correct for Munster Irish. The T isn't usually inflected in the other dialects. I would suggest have the urú in lower case anyhow.

GABH AR DHEIS AR AN dTIMPEALLÁN

At the end of the road' AG DEIRIDH AN BHÓTHAIR

AG DEIREADH* AN BHÓTHAIR

*Unless Deiridh (the genitive) is used as a verbal noun in Conamara?

'Sharp left' CÁS GO GÉAR AR CHLÉ 'Sharp right' CÁS GO GÉAR AR DHEIS

CAS

As the emphasis in this sentence is on sharp; Cas ar dheis go géar?

Turn around when possible' CAS THAR TIMPEALL, NUAIR IS FÉIDIR É

Cas Timpeall/ iompaigh, nuair is féidir?

or what about the ordering autonomous tense as in ná caithtear tobac; nuair is féadtar???

Turn left' CÁS AR CHLÉ
- 'Turn Right' CÁS AR DHEIS

CAS

Cian


Go raibh míle maith agad a Chian :GRMA:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
Do you know your man who ...


I've always wondered about the very common "your man" type of expression in Irish English. Does it have some original basis in Irish, like An bhfuil aithne agat ar d'fhear sin?


Ya it does,

Mo dhuine is used in Irish instead of "your man".

An bhfuil aithne agat ar mo dhuine?


Yeah we say that in Conamara too.

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:

If you come to the Big Red house, you've gone to far.

twill be on your right there, you can't miss it

Telling someone how to get to your house: Do you know the big, huge estate on the top of the hill....ya....well not that one, the one next to it.

Cian


That sounds like me giving directions.
I really hate it when people ask me. I try to keep my head low, so they go on to somebody else. I'm dyslexic and have a really bad sense of direction.
Always mixing my left and right even.
One day I was near Mickey's and a car stopped and asked directions to Leitir Móir I think. I mean to tell him to take the next left, and the next right comes out of my mouth.Then omg I see him turning down Bóthar an Chillín and I rush home before he catches up with me on his way back. He'd think I was a total oinseach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPS in Irish
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Brídmhor wrote:
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:

If you come to the Big Red house, you've gone to far.

twill be on your right there, you can't miss it

Telling someone how to get to your house: Do you know the big, huge estate on the top of the hill....ya....well not that one, the one next to it.

Cian


That sounds like me giving directions.
I really hate it when people ask me. I try to keep my head low, so they go on to somebody else. I'm dyslexic and have a really bad sense of direction.
Always mixing my left and right even.
One day I was near Mickey's and a car stopped and asked directions to Leitir Móir I think. I mean to tell him to take the next left, and the next right comes out of my mouth.Then omg I see him turning down Bóthar an Chillín and I rush home before he catches up with me on his way back. He'd think I was a total oinseach.


Dhera mhuise, I remember this old couple stopped me on the way to my aunts about 3 months ago and they looking for directions to the old church to go to a concert. I got that flustered that I hopped into the back seat and directed them step by step rather than give them the directions. In the town where I live there's lots of narrow, medieval streets, especially around the church they were going to and its only one way traffic for most of it so it was easier to hop into the car and show them than having to wreck my brain having to explain the way. It only took me two minutes out of my way. I do the oddest things when I'm flustered, I didn't really realise how inappropriate it was until we drove off with me in the back seat. They must have thought I was the biggest weirdo ever, well at least they won't be asking me for directions again. They seemed really grateful in the end though, they were a lovely old couple from Belfast.

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1269 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group