It is currently Thu 01 Oct 2026 2:50 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
I'd like to record myself to hear it if I could get a quiet place. roll on my own spot...

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Breandán wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
How would you pronounce Caoimhe?

I would say Caoimhe almost like KOY-vih or KO-ee-vih:

http://www.forvo.com/word/caoimhe/#ga

The glide might not be a "w" exactly, but KWEE-vih is closer than KEE-vih.
I can't get any of those to play. :(

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Saoirse wrote:
I can't get any of those to play.



I don't why that is. :S

Try the download button.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
I can't get any of those to play.



I don't why that is. :S

Try the download button.
All working fine; the volume was muted on my laptop! :oops:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
I think the problem is that there are sounds in Irish that English just doesn't have (and vice versa, of course). It's neither "kwee-va" nor "kee-va" the way an American, for example, would understand those sounds, but somewhere in between.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
The sound people are mis-hearing as a 'w' is a glide. The lips should not move until you get to the 'mhe' bit

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 3:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Jay Bee wrote:
The sound people are mis-hearing as a 'w' is a glide. The lips should not move until you get to the 'mhe' bit

It is not that people are mis-hearing anything. If anything, it is yourself who is misinterpreting what a w is or isn't.

The glide is somewhere between kwee and coy. The nearest thing to the glide in English is a "w" without rounded lips. Perhaps people round their lips more in other dialects of English, I don't know, but it maps pretty well to how we pronounce "Queensland" in these parts.

If you tell people it is pronounced KEE-va, they will end up pronouncing a slender c instead. KEE-va would be Címhe, which is further away from the correct pronunciation than KWEE-va.


... Bríd has now put her version up on Forvo. Again, it's closer to KWEE-vuh than KEE-vuh.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
If people are not interpreting the glide as a 'w' then why are they pronouncing it with a w and telling other people there's a double-u in it?

I feel like Lughaidh right now

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 4:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Breandán wrote:
The glide is somewhere between kwee and coy. The nearest thing to the glide in English is a "w" without rounded lips.


That's a good way to describe it. I usually tell people to start as if they were going to pronounce a "w" but not to commit to it...but I think I'm going to start trying to describe it in terms of rounded lips (usually, in our case, the word is "gaoth").

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
But there is no rounded lips -'gaoth' is [gˠɰiː] not 'gwee'. The glide can be formed by not rounding the lips

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1755 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group