It is currently Thu 01 Oct 2026 3:32 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
I agree with the sentiment that it's up to each individual whether he/she wants a tattoo. I wouldn't get one myself (well, maybe a tiny one somewhere discreet some day), but I'm happy to help with translations if I can, and I wholeheartedly agree with Red that learners can pick up a lot of knowledge from the suggestions and corrections offered for tattoos. Since most of us have no trouble pitying the people who have gotten poorly translated tattoos, I like the idea that the forum is available to those who want to get them done correctly, and those who don't want to get involved don't have to.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 23 Dec 2013 4:01 am
Posts: 49
I don't understand why some people get tattoos in languages they cannot speak (or pronounce, more than likely), such as Chinese or Irish.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. Is fearr liom Gaeilge Chonnacht. Corrections always appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
DTG wrote:
I don't understand why some people get tattoos in languages they cannot speak (or pronounce, more than likely), such as Chinese or Irish.


I think in many cases it's just because it's decorative, but with Irish it may be an ethnic pride thing, and that seems fine to me. It's not all that different from institutions having slogans in Latin, even though most of the people there may have no idea what the slogan actually says. Just try asking a random group of Americans what E Pluribus Unum means (it's on our currency, so nearly everyone has seen it), and I bet you'd get some pretty humorous attempts at translations.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
http://imgur.com/LA7OXTD :D

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Bríd Mhór wrote:
http://imgur.com/LA7OXTD :D


Oh dear. I wonder what she was hoping for?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Redwolf wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
http://imgur.com/LA7OXTD :D


Oh dear. I wonder what she was hoping for?

:dhera: Probably "Values" - there is no distinction between singular and plural in most East Asian languages, and it often comes through in their English.

(If she had a "+" instead of a star after it, it could have been "value plus".)

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
It could be anything really... one possibility is "valour", which is from the same root as "value", and many European languages don't make a distinction (even English was "worth" as approximately synonymous with both words). Maybe Chinese also has one word for both...

_________________
A language belongs to its native speakers, and when you speak it, you are a guest in their homes.
If you are not a good guest, you have no right to complain about receiving poor hospitality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
If she is Japanese, another possibility is that her name or nickname is 直 NAO and she looked up the meaning in the dictionary and lo and behold ...

(Someone else tried to say this amongst the many comments under the picture in the link Bríd provided.)

DTG wrote:
I don't understand why some people get tattoos in languages they cannot speak (or pronounce, more than likely), such as Chinese or Irish.

One reason might be that even if you make a mistake, no one you know is likely to notice. ;)

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Breandán wrote:
One reason might be that even if you make a mistake, no one you know is likely to notice. ;)


You'd think, but you never know! At a concert once, a friend of mine jokingly said to the audience "the nice thing about singing in Irish is no one knows if you've made a mistake!" She followed that up with "an bhfuil Gaeilge ag aon duine anseo anocht?" and a woman right in the front row put up her hand! :darklaugh:

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Redwolf wrote:
Breandán wrote:
One reason might be that even if you make a mistake, no one you know is likely to notice. ;)

You'd think, but you never know! At a concert once, a friend of mine jokingly said to the audience "the nice thing about singing in Irish is no one knows if you've made a mistake!" She followed that up with "an bhfuil Gaeilge ag aon duine anseo anocht?" and a woman right in the front row put up her hand! :darklaugh:

Redwolf

:LOL:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1713 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group