It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 11:22 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Saoirse wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I don't know where you live, but I would caution you to choose a name that won't be too hard for teachers, other parents, and children to pronounce or to spell.
A few Irish actors have made Irish names much more common place. Picking a random one completely out of the air - 'Saoirse'..... :mrgreen: Saoirse Ronan's success/fame has presumably meant that many more Americans will spell that particularly appealing name (it is Irish for freedom) more manageable. Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson have presumably made those boys' names easily recognisable too.


We usually manage Siobhán, Sinéad, and Seán reasonably well here. Poor Saoirse Ronan's name gets mispronounced an awful lot here, though (I've heard "surshuh," "sursee" and "sorshuh")...I think maybe she's too polite to correct people!

Of course, some people will get even the simplest names wrong! I grew up seeing my given name (Audrey) mangled more often than not (I don't know what it is about that name that makes people think it should be pronounced "Andrea," but I got called that so often as a kid I started to answer to it!)

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Redwolf wrote:
Poor Saoirse Ronan's name gets mispronounced an awful lot here, though (I've heard "surshuh," "sursee" and "sorshuh")

Actually she herself says "Sorshuh"!

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Well, I think you should stick to your guns, even if some Irish people can't pronounce their own names properly. :LOL:

If we went by the rule of avoiding names that people were unable to pronounce or spell properly, most names would be ruled out by now.

Even in this day and age, I still get people pronouncing Brendan as "Brandon" (and nothing like the Irish Breandán either) and spelling it "Brenden" or "Brendon". That's when they don't call me Brian or Barry. :LOL:

It doesn't matter what name you choose other people will always find a way to mess with it. It is human nature.

So, like I said stick to your guns and give your children whatever name your wife wants. :yes:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Actually she herself says "Sorshuh"!


:facepalm:


Lughaidh wrote:
Dála an scéil, an bhfuil tú cinnte go mbeidh na daoiní ábalta ainm do pháiste a fhuaimniú i gceart? Bíonn sé tuirsiúil do dhuine nuair a bhíonn achan nduine a' fuaimniú a ainm ar nós cuma leis go deireadh a shaoil... (mar shompla: Sadhbh... ainm thar a bheith deas, ach cá mhéad duine in Éirinn atá ábalta an t-ainm sin a léamh i gceart? gan trácht ar na tíorthaí eile, má théid do pháiste thar lear agus é/í fásta)


Cé smoite go dhaoine le Gaeilge líofa cé atá in ann "Bríd" a rá i gceart - ní thar lear ach in Éirinn fiú? Nó aon ainm eile leis an R gaelach. Ach sé m'ainmse é is níl mé ag goil a athrú le aon duine a shásadh.

Agus tá an rud céanna fíor i gcás chuile theanga ar domhan. Nuair atá tú sa mbaile, i do cheantar féin, tá an t-ainm sin ciotianta agus an fuaimiú nadúrtha dúinn. An bhfuil Francaigh nó Spáinaigh (mar shampla) in ann ainmeachaí Béarla ar nós - John, Mary, Elizabeth a rá i gceart? Cé méid Béarlóirí nó Gaeilgeoirí atá in ann ainmeachaí ar nós "Jean", "Étienne", "María", "Julio", "Eduardo", "Guillermo" srl a rá ceart.
(Be proud of your own ethnic name. It doesn't matter if foreigners can't pronounce it properly, you might have difficulty with their name too.)


Some of my favourite names -

Antaine - Irish for Anthony
Macdara
Oisín
Daithí
Donncha
Micil
- a Conamara version of Michael
Cathal
Iarlaith / Iarfhlaith
- translated to English as "Jarlath". - Common in parts of Galway.
Ruaidhrí (Ruairí) - silent letters only make the name more interesting.
Toirdhealbhach - the more silent letters the better ;)
Tomás - Irish for Thomas but much nicer.

Bríd :)
Sorcha
Áine
- people will tell you it's the Irish for "Anne" but actually it's an unrelated ancient name.
Anna - found in Conamara
Gráinne - No not "Grace".
Neasa
Bairbre
- Irish for "Barbara", used to be common in Conamara, but not among the younger generation.
Deirdre
Sadhbh
- lovely name, But in Conamara it's pronounced as "sow", so could get some ribbing in school.
Tóireasa / Treasa - Irish for Threasa


This is how we say "Anna" in Conamara. In particular Leitir Móir.

. :>: .

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 11:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Bríd Mhór wrote:
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Actually she herself says "Sorshuh"!


:facepalm:


Lughaidh wrote:
Dála an scéil, an bhfuil tú cinnte go mbeidh na daoiní ábalta ainm do pháiste a fhuaimniú i gceart? Bíonn sé tuirsiúil do dhuine nuair a bhíonn achan nduine a' fuaimniú a ainm ar nós cuma leis go deireadh a shaoil... (mar shompla: Sadhbh... ainm thar a bheith deas, ach cá mhéad duine in Éirinn atá ábalta an t-ainm sin a léamh i gceart? gan trácht ar na tíorthaí eile, má théid do pháiste thar lear agus é/í fásta)


Cé smoite go dhaoine le Gaeilge líofa cé atá in ann "Bríd" a rá i gceart - ní thar lear ach in Éirinn fiú? Nó aon ainm eile leis an R gaelach. Ach sé m'ainmse é is níl mé ag goil a athrú le aon duine a shásadh.

Agus tá an rud céanna fíor i gcás chuile theanga ar domhan. Nuair atá tú sa mbaile, i do cheantar féin, tá an t-ainm sin ciotianta agus an fuaimiú nadúrtha dúinn. An bhfuil Francaigh nó Spáinaigh (mar shampla) in ann ainmeachaí Béarla ar nós - John, Mary, Elizabeth a rá i gceart? Cé méid Béarlóirí nó Gaeilgeoirí atá in ann ainmeachaí ar nós "Jean", "Étienne", "María", "Julio", "Eduardo", "Guillermo" srl a rá ceart.
(Be proud of your own ethnic name. It doesn't matter if foreigners can't pronounce it properly, you might have difficulty with their name too.)


Some of my favourite names -

Antaine - Irish for Anthony
Macdara
Oisín
Daithí
Donncha
Micil
- a Conamara version of Michael
Cathal
Iarlaith / Iarfhlaith
- translated to English as "Jarlath". - Common in parts of Galway.
Ruaidhrí (Ruairí) - silent letters only make the name more interesting.
Toirdhealbhach - the more silent letters the better ;)
Tomás - Irish for Thomas but much nicer.

Bríd :)
Sorcha
Áine
- people will tell you it's the Irish for "Anne" but actually it's an unrelated ancient name.
Anna - found in Conamara
Gráinne - No not "Grace".
Neasa
Bairbre
- Irish for "Barbara", used to be common in Conamara, but not among the younger generation.
Deirdre
Sadhbh
- lovely name, But in Conamara it's pronounced as "sow", so could get some ribbing in school.
Tóireasa / Treasa - Irish for Threasa


Can you imagine poor little Toirdhealbhach in an American kindergarten? "'Tor-duhl-bak?' or is 'turtle back?'" Ah heck...let's just call him 'turd'!"

Anna was very close to being "Sorcha," which is one of my favorite names, but I couldn't face years of correcting people who pronounced it "sortch-uh" or "sorka."

"Treasa" and "Gráinne" are two favorites of mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Redwolf wrote:
Anna was very close to being "Sorcha," which is one of my favorite names, but I couldn't face years of correcting people who pronounced it "sortch-uh" or "sorka."

In Ireland they'd ask is that the Irish for Sarah. :S

I don't know how related the Irish "Anna" is to the English one.
It's not pronounced the same. Naomh Anna is the patron saint of Leitir Mór. And there is a holy well there in her name.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Redwolf wrote:
We usually manage Siobhán, Sinéad, and Seán reasonably well here. Poor Saoirse Ronan's name gets mispronounced an awful lot here, though (I've heard "surshuh," "sursee" and "sorshuh")...I think maybe she's too polite to correct people!
'Poor Saoirse Ronan'? She's a hateful looking yoke and this is from her wiki entry:

Quote:
"'Seer-sha' is how Irish people pronounce my first name, but I would pronounce it 'Sir-sha,' like 'inertia'. It's Irish for 'freedom.' I recently found out that my middle name, Una, means 'unity' in Ireland. And I think my last name means 'seal.' So I’m a free, unified seal."[1]
The fact is people will pronounce as they will. What if you were faced with a click language?

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Bríd Mhór wrote:
In Ireland they'd ask is that the Irish for Sarah.


In Ireland they think every name is a translation from England. It's so retarded it barely needs to be dignified with a response but I suspect Anglicisation books from the Victorian and Edwardian periods are to be blamed.

I recall once having an argument with my mother who insisted that Cormac is the Irish for Charles...(Cormac is Cormac and Charles is Karl; the 'k' changed to a 'ch' in much of France in the Middle Ages)

Another thing, why are so many men so compliant when it comes to doing what they are told by their wives and girlfriends? I don't like controlling, domineering or bullying people and I wouldn't be able to handle being told I had no say in the names of my own kids. Why not the first child's first name to one, the second name to the other, the third to the first etc then vice versa for the next? Or one gender to one etc Or both above, or make up names together?

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
Jay Bee wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:

Another thing, why are so many men so compliant when it comes to doing what they are told by their wives and girlfriends? I don't like controlling, domineering or bullying people and I wouldn't be able to handle being told I had no say in the names of my own kids. Why not the first child's first name to one, the second name to the other, the third to the first etc then vice versa for the next? Or one gender to one etc Or both above, or make up names together?



Well if you are referring to me not getting my choice with the names, it wasnt a case of "no we are having my names"
More a "I really like this name can we use it" , and considering she has only just given birth to the child you sort of feel she has earned since it was a slightly bigger effort on her part than mine.

Obviously if she came along and said "I want Oliver Humphrey the third", I wouldn't let it slide.

_________________
Bíonn rudaí maithe mall


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leanbh núa
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Jay Bee wrote:
Another thing, why are so many men so compliant when it comes to doing what they are told by their wives and girlfriends? I don't like controlling, domineering or bullying people and I wouldn't be able to handle being told I had no say in the names of my own kids. Why not the first child's first name to one, the second name to the other, the third to the first etc then vice versa for the next? Or one gender to one etc Or both above, or make up names together?

So clearly you aren't married, then. :LOL: Sometimes being strong means being able to bend in the wind. :prof: Besides, as Dáithí mentioned above, equality takes on a whole new meaning when one party has been through hours of excruciating pain, not to mention months of unrelieved discomfort, and the other party hasn't. Is it "compliant" to recognise when someone else has done most of the hard work?

But actually, I was only joking in my previous post. My wife and I discussed our choices and arrived at a mutual decision (which could actually means she subtly let me have my own way :winkgrin: ). It was lucky that we both love Ireland equally much and both knew we wanted Irish names for our children.

Sometimes you also have to resist pressure from other members of both sides of the family. People who can barely spell common names in English feel intimidated by foreign names.

In a way it helped that whatever names we chose, English or otherwise, one side of the family or the other would have problems pronouncing it, because English names are hard for Japanese people to pronounce and Japanese names are hard for English people to pronounce. Irish names have the balancing effect of being equally difficult for everyone to pronounce (in our case at least). :LOL:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1252 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group