AnBraonach wrote:
I'm pretty poor at deciphering song lyrics in any bloody language but this is what I'm hearing in the chorus and first verse:
Óró, 'sheanduine, 'sheanduine dhóite
Is óró, 'sheanduine, 'sheanduine dhóite
Is óró, 'sheanduine, 'sheanduine dhóite
Brón ar an tseanduine is mairg a phós sé*
Chuir mise mo sheanduine
Isteach ins an choirnéal (choradh? or chónair?)
Ag ól bainne ramhair
Is ag ithe aráin eornan
Dá gcuirfeadh sé a cheann amach
Sciobfainn an tsrón de
Agus bhéarfainn** an chuid (eile)
do na buachaillí óga
* I know it seems strange to speak of him in the third person after addressing him directly with the vocative before that, but that's what I hear, I think.
** Ulster form of thabharfainn
Will have a listen to the rest later.
Slán,
Domhnall
Any idea of the rest of it a Dhomhnaill?
We found so many different verses online. But it seems that most of what Máire says is unique to her version of the song.