It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 1:21 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
I am looking to get a tattoo with the quote "Life begins at the end of my comfort zone" tranlated into Irish Gaelic. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo Translation
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014 1:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
samsam0324 wrote:
I am looking to get a tattoo with the quote "Life begins at the end of my comfort zone" tranlated into Irish Gaelic. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!


Well here's a start anyway:

Is san áit a rachad féin as mo bhaint a thosós an saol.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014 9:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
Thank you. I am definitely flexible with the translation as I understand that literal translation doesn't usually make sense. Just looking for a similar meaning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
A Bhraoin,
Wouldn't it be more idiomatic to stick with nouns and verbal nouns?

Something more akin to:
The beginning of life is at the edge of my comfort zone?

_________________
A language belongs to its native speakers, and when you speak it, you are a guest in their homes.
If you are not a good guest, you have no right to complain about receiving poor hospitality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo Translation
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 622
A possible alternative:

Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo shólás.
(The life begins at the edge of my solace)

Braoin wrote:
Is san áit a rachad féin as mo bhaint a thosós an saol.

As mo bhaint looks like an interesting phrase. I haven't come across that before.

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim fós. Fáilte roimh gach aon cheartúchán.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
A shot in the dark:

Ní saol go léim isteach "Life doesn't start till you jump in" literally "there is no life until jumping in"

Await further input ...

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
NiallBeag wrote:
A Bhraoin,
Wouldn't it be more idiomatic to stick with nouns and verbal nouns?

Something more akin to:
The beginning of life is at the edge of my comfort zone?


I don't think of these things. All I can see is a concept 'comfort zone' which is alien to my experience. But I am often in too deep and that is where the poster says life begins.
I suppose I could think:
Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint.
...but to me it is a way of saying the same thing... perhaps a little clearer...
Depends on whether I want to emphasise life or comfort zone more...

There are fine options being offered here for this translation and I am waiting with interest for a final choice to be made.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014 2:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
Breandán wrote:
A shot in the dark:

Ní saol go léim isteach "Life doesn't start till you jump in" literally "there is no life until jumping in"

Await further input ...



Thank you all for your help! I would rather stay away from the word solace. Breandán, I really like your translation of the phrase. This translation is closer to NiallBeag's suggestion, "The beginning of life is at the edge of my comfort zone."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
Breandán wrote:
A shot in the dark:

Ní saol go léim isteach "Life doesn't start till you jump in" literally "there is no life until jumping in"

Await further input ...



I just need two more people to confirm this phrase. Thank you all for working on this for me. :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2014 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Braoin wrote:
I don't think of these things. All I can see is a concept 'comfort zone' which is alien to my experience. But I am often in too deep and that is where the poster says life begins.
I suppose I could think:
Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint.
...but to me it is a way of saying the same thing... perhaps a little clearer...
Depends on whether I want to emphasise life or comfort zone more...

Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint.
Does that mean literally - "life starts when I go further than my reach" ? I haven't heard "as mo bhaint" before.
Sounds good. I'm not clear myself how to say "comfort zone". It's always hard to translate idiomatic expressions.


Mick wrote:
Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo shólás.
(The life begins at the edge of my solace)


That is closer to the literal meaning of what was wanted if you substitute sólás with sáimhín só.
Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo sháimhín só.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Labhrás and 1407 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group