It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 4:52 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
What is the opposite of 'Ba chóir duit suí ansin.'? I know there are ways around it, but is there an opposite of this actual phrase?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Saoirse wrote:
What is the opposite of 'Ba chóir duit suí ansin.'? I know there are ways around it, but is there an opposite of this actual phrase?


I would say - as opposite to the above:
Níor chóir duit suí ansin.

I would usually say:
Ná suí ansin, le do thoil.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013 12:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Nó "b'fhearr duit gan suí ansin"... "níor cheart duit suí ansin"...

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Lughaidh wrote:
Nó "b'fhearr duit gan suí ansin"... "níor cheart duit suí ansin"...


Personally I don't use "cóir". So I'd say Ba cheart.../Níor cheart dhuit suí ansin.



Braoin wrote:
I would usually say:
Ná suí ansin, le do thoil.


Yeah that is usually the best.
Although sometimes it might sound bossy depending on who you are speaking to.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Actually, my question could easily have been about 'ba cheart duit'. I have never used 'níor cheart duit' or 'níor chóir duit', but have often used 'ba chóir duit' and 'ba cheart duit', the latter less frequently. Strange to use a phrase one way and never the opposite of it.

:GRMA:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
In Scottish Gaelic, I believe the natural opposite is along the lines of "bu choir nach dèan thu sin", making the negative refer to the action, not the obligation. (Consider that "you don't have to do that" indicates a lack of obligation, not an obligation against action.)

Is there a similar form in Irish?

_________________
A language belongs to its native speakers, and when you speak it, you are a guest in their homes.
If you are not a good guest, you have no right to complain about receiving poor hospitality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan 2014 5:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
NiallBeag wrote:
In Scottish Gaelic, I believe the natural opposite is along the lines of "bu choir nach dèan thu sin", making the negative refer to the action, not the obligation. (Consider that "you don't have to do that" indicates a lack of obligation, not an obligation against action.)

Is there a similar form in Irish?

There is, but it may be limited to bureaucratic contexts. At least, the majority of Ghits I'm finding for "Ba chóir nach..." are from official documents (most representing the consecrated phrase "Ba chóir nach rachadh na haighneachtaí sin thar X focal), with only a handful from personal blogs and the like. Ar chuala aon duine an leagan cainte seo i mbéal an phobail?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1188 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group