It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 9:13 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 5:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 11 Mar 2013 5:19 am
Posts: 56
Could someone confirm for me whether I am doing this correctly with the genitive and also the relative clause? Cad é ainm na réalta ar bhí tú ag caint faoi tráthnóna inné? = What is the name of the star that you were talking about yesterday evening?; for instance, Polaris, Betelgeuse, ect. Thanks. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 7:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
I think you need a form of raibh, since the indirect relative takes the dependent form.

I know this is a grammatical excercise, but a more natural version (I think) would be:

Cad é an ainm atá ar an réalt san a rabhais ag caint mar gheall uirthi inné?

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
Cad é an ainm atá ar an réalta san a bhís ag caint mar gheall uirthi inné?


why not "Cad é an t-ainm atá ar na réalta san a rabhais ag caint mar gheall orthu inné?" ?

"réalta" was a plural in Asenion's sentence.

In Donegal Irish it would be
"Goidé an t-ainm atá ar na réalta sin a rabh tú a labhairt fá dtaobh daofa inné?".

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Quote:
Why not .... an t-ainm

ainm is feminine in Munster.

Quote:
na réalta....mar gheall orthu

I think it was meant to be singular, in the translation is of the star, rather than of the stars.
Should be Réalt though!

Quote:
rabhais

That one is because I'm an idiot! :) Made even worse that I made the point of saying you need rabhais myself. :facepalm:
Correct now, thanks!

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Jul 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 329
faoi tráthnóna inné - I don't know if this would require lenition of tráthnóna, but there is a word for "last night", which is aréir.

Also, you can have réiltín for star (diminutive).

Cad é an ainm atá ar an réiltín sin go rabhais ag caint mar gheall uirthi aréir?

Plural:

Cad iad na hainmneacha atá ar na réiltíní sin go rabhais ag caint mar gheall orthu aréir?

Or: you put the "ar" in first:

Cad é an ainm atá ar an réiltín ar a rabhais ag caint aréir?
Cad iad na hainmneacha atá ar an réiltíní sin ar a rabhais ag caint aréir?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
faoi tráthnóna inné - I don't know if this would require lenition of tráthnóna, but there is a word for "last night", which is aréir.


faoi means "about it" (about the star), that's why it doesn't lenite tráthnóna.

Quote:
Cad é an ainm atá ar an réiltín sin go rabhais ag caint mar gheall uirthi aréir?


réiltín is feminine? (gml I'm not a specialist of Munster Irish)

I didn't know ainm was feminine somewhere :) weird! :mrgreen:

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Jul 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 329
Well, the noun of which it is the diminutive is feminine.

That said, I have only read of réiltín becoming an réiltín in the genitive, but I have seen réiltín being referred to as í.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2013 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
Well, the noun of which it is the diminutive is feminine.


yes but that's not an evidence, I guess there are feminine words that change gender after adding the -ín ending.

Quote:
That said, I have only read of réiltín becoming an réiltín in the genitive, but I have seen réiltín being referred to as í.


but again that's no evidence since "cat" is referred to as í, and a few other words like that too ; cailín to although it's feminine... well, things aren't simple in Irish :mrgreen:

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2013 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Generally speaking, adding a diminutive ending makes a noun masculine.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Jul 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 329
Well, Lughaidh, as you say there is a difference between declining a word as feminine, and just referring to it as í. Bád is a case in point. So, applying that principle, it's not wrong to refer to a réiltín as í (or uirthi, as I did above).

I think it is generally the case the diminutives are masculine, but you can find some evidence of diminutives, at least in dialectal literature, being determined by the gender of the base noun - eg na luichíne in the genitive.

But, as I said, I don't actually have any evidence of **na réiltíne - just of an réiltín in the genitive, although I have found it referred to as í.

Maybe luichíne is different, because a mouse might be thought of as feminine in the way you talk to children about animals?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1311 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group