It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 9:29 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 13 Aug 2013 12:59 pm
Posts: 5
Hi Cionnfhaolach, I think standard Irish would be good first time round. I thank you all again for all your hard work. You all have put more into it then I hoped. So who do you would be the best translation to follow? :/
I think when all this is done and dusted( fingers crossed and all that) I should definitely look into doing an Irish language course. Know of any in Munster/ North cork Preferably.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Bui wrote:
Thank you everyone for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. :D I had forgotten how complex Irish is especially with all the tenses.
To Cionnfhaolach, The main character is going through to the other side.(spectral plane) Via astral-projection. That is why she is asking the gods to protect her soul on her journey and safely back. In the second sentence she is piggy backing a friend with her and must protect both their souls.( If this helps with the translation all the better) I suppose in stead of the ancients( as in the old gods that no one prays to anymore) I could use the old ones.

Thanks you everyone again. :D


Just to clarify things and in light of what you've said in the quote above I would recommend making the following changes to mine:

A dhéithe na spéire, go dtreoirí sibh go sabháilte tríd an turas seo agus an turas abhaile mé; go raibh maith agaibh

Oh gods of the sky, may ye guide me safely through this journey and the journey home, thanking ye

tríd an turas, as it implies there are two separate journeys i.e the journey to the other side and then back home again.

Although, I myself personally prefer:

A dhéithe na spéire, go mbronnaí sibh sabháilteacht ar an turas seo agus ar mo thuras abhaile (dom); go raibh maith agaibh

Oh gods of the sky, may ye grant us safety upon this journey and upon my journey home; thanking ye

There's also the other translation variations given by Breandán, Bríd and Caoimhín

And for the second,

A dhéithe seanda/ ársa, go mbeannaí sibh turas sabháilte orainn agus go gcoimeádaí (sibh) ár n-anamacha/ ár n-anam sabháilte freisin; go raibh maith agaibh

Oh ancient/ archaic gods, may ye bless us with a safe trip and may ye keep our souls safe also; thanking ye

Again, there's also the translations given by others also

Wait for more input and clarification from other members

Crossed with Bui

Cian

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Bui wrote:
Saoirse sorry I havent responded to your message. I can't read it as pm is blocked to me. I think I have a few more posts I have to write before I can get in :D
No worries. I forgot that you need to have ten posts before you can use the pm system.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
A few changes and corrections:

A dhéithe na spéire, go dtreoraí sibh go sábháilte sa turas seo agus sa turas abhaile mé; go raibh maith agaibh

A dhéithe na spéire, go mbronna sibh sábháilteacht orm sa turas seo agus i mo thuras abhaile; go raibh maith agaibh

A dhéithe seanda/ ársa, go mbeannaí sibh sinn inár dturas agus go gcoimeáda sibh ár n-anamacha slán freisin; go raibh maith agaibh

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2013 1:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Bríd knows a hundred times more Irish than I ever will, so it's with great trepidation that I make a suggestion. Since the requests are being made of the gods [plural] and the ancients [plural], would these changes be appropriate?

A dheithe na spéire treoiraígí mé thríd an turas agus abhaile sábháilte, go raibh maith agaibh.

and, unless muinitir is treated as a collective noun (in which case, ignore these next two):

A mhuintir ársa, beannaígí muid le turas sábháilte agus cúmhdaigh ár n-anamacha slán sábháilte. Go raibh maith agaibh.
A mhuintir ársa, tugaigí dúinn bhur mbeannacht agus coinnigh ár n-anamacha sábháilte ar an mbealach (abhaile). Go raibh maith agaibh.


I would give these my belated vote. The only suggestions I would make is
'treoraígí' instead of 'treoiraígí'
...there might also be a grammatical case to be made for
'cumhdaígí' and 'coinnígí' instead of the singular forms, but I wouldn't panic about that in this case...

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1531 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group