Mick wrote:
Lughaidh wrote:
I think it's simply because in certain dialects the word for never is "ariamh" and not "riamh"

As far as I know, Irish doesn't add extra vowels at the beginning of words to make pronunciation easier.
That's interesting Lughaidh. I didn't know "ariamh" was an alternative to "riamh."
Another reason for having the
a at the beginning of
ariamh is that slender r is usually broadened at the beginning of words, but the r in
riamh really is slender and having an
a at the beginning keeps it that way.
Mick wrote:
Maybe I was wrong about a vowel being added to the beginning of a word, but you definitely get extra vowels in the middle of a word, e.g. ainm is pronounced "ainim." I wonder why people don't just spell it "ainim."
It might save a bit of embarassment.
So many beginners fail to pronounce the
n in
ainm AE-nim /æ:n´əm´/ as a slender
n /n´/. Instead they broaden it and end up pronouncing
ainm like
anam AH-num /a:nəm/:
Pól is ainm dom. "My name is Paul" versus
Pól is anam dom. "My
soul is Paul".
