It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 2:47 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Irish books in Dublin?
PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
I'm planning to go to Dublin this summer. So I wanted to ask - is it hard to buy a book in Irish there? Not online, but in a real bookstore. And I mean not textbooks, but some literature written or translated into Irish.

I've thought about ordering online, but shipping to my country is way too expensive (and postal services are quite unreliable here). Since I'm going to Dublin anyway, I just thought it might be a good opportunity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 31 Mar 2013 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Pangur wrote:
I'm planning to go to Dublin this summer. So I wanted to ask - is it hard to buy a book in Irish there? Not online, but in a real bookstore. And I mean not textbooks, but some literature written or translated into Irish.

I've thought about ordering online, but shipping to my country is way too expensive (and postal services are quite unreliable here). Since I'm going to Dublin anyway, I just thought it might be a good opportunity.
An Siopa Leabhar is your best bet in Dublin. Conradh na Gaeilge, 6 Sráid Fhearchair, Baile Átha Cliath 2. There is also a pub in the same building and the cúpla focal is more than welcome there too. :guiness:

If you cannot wait that long to buy a few books, http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/ sells some Irish books and has free shipping worldwide so that might be worth checking out too. :reading:

This might be a good time to remind everyone that all bookshops in Ireland will order in any book you want. It is important that ordinary local shops realise that there is a demand for Irish language books and products.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
Go raibh míle maith agat, a Shaoirse! Exactly the answer I was hoping for! :GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 84
I dont know how well you know Dublin or where you will be staying. Walk up Grafton St. to St.Stephen's Green and pass The Green Shopping Centre to the junction with Cuffe St. Cross over to Sráid Fhearchair
(Harcourt St) and the bookshop is about three doors up. Be careful, this is a Georgian building and the shop can be hard to spot! Hanna's in the Green Shopping Centre carries books in Irish as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
Brian O'Cathain wrote:
I dont know how well you know Dublin or where you will be staying. Walk up Grafton St. to St.Stephen's Green and pass The Green Shopping Centre to the junction with Cuffe St. Cross over to Sráid Fhearchair
(Harcourt St) and the bookshop is about three doors up. Be careful, this is a Georgian building and the shop can be hard to spot! Hanna's in the Green Shopping Centre carries books in Irish as well.

Thanks for the directions, Brian! :) This is going to be only my second trip to Dublin, but I'm planning to visit St. Stephen's Green (I love parks and gardens), so it looks like the shop's location is quite convenient for me. Checking it on Google Maps right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2013 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Hodges and Figgis on Dawson Street also has quite a few Irish books. The Irish section is to the left of the entrance.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2013 3:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: BÁC, Éire
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Hodges and Figgis on Dawson Street also has quite a few Irish books. The Irish section is to the left of the entrance.


Yeah they have a good old section there. Gaelchultur on Clare Street have too, too but like Conradh na Gaeilge it's a dedicated Irish store not a normal bookstore like Hodges and Figgis.

I would say the big Easons on O Connell street have some Irish books too


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2013 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
Yay, so many suggestions, thank you guys! :GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2013 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 22 Feb 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 4
Is é an siopa leabhar ar Shráid Fhearchair an siopa is fearr le haghaidh leabhair ghaeilge i mBaile Átha Cliath. Beidh an rogha is fearr ar fáil ann. Siopaí eile, den chuid is mó, ní bhíonn acu ach foclóirí agus cupla leabhar fánach.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep 2013 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Feb 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 78
Just came back from my trip to Dublin and wanted to say thanks again for all your recommendations. Visited An Siopa Leabhar, found some very interesting books there. If I had more money and more room in my bags, I would have probably bought ten instead of a couple. :mrgreen:

Also I wanted to mention Dubray Books on Grafton Street which I discovered quite accidentally. Their Irish section is quite small and most of the books are for kids, but children's books are not a bad choice for a beginner like me. :) Bought An Prionsa Beag and Harry Potter agus an Órchloch there.

Thanks again guys, you've been really helpful. :GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1236 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group