It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 2:23 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
I thought it might be interesting to compile a list of things that ordinary Irish people can do through Irish. For example:

1. Bank of Ireland ATM machines offer the choice to carry out the transaction in Irish or English, but AIB ATMs don't. I don't know about the others.
2. You can order your Bank of Ireland cheque book so that everything is written in Irish; I don't know about other banks.
3. Public servants can ask for their payslips to be issued in Irish (or maybe only bilingually?)

Has anyone else any ideas for services/simple things we can change to Irish in our everyday lives? I intend to change as many things from the suggestions people make here as possible. Organisations need to know there is a demand for these things.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: BÁC, Éire
You can get your ESB bills in Irish as I do, and I think you can with Bord Gáis too.
All Dublin Bus/ Luas electronic bus time displays flash between English and Irish. The Luas ticket machines are bilingual.
The photo machines where you bring your phone/ camera to to print proper photos in places like Harvey Norman have an Irish option which is really detailed with many options.
I think the An Post automated stamp man nines are bilingual.
My library is totally bilingual including the check out machines.
With Meteor you can change your voicemail menus to Irish so it'll prompt you to listen to a message, delete a message etc all in Irish. I'd assume that's the same with e-mobile too as another eircom subsidiary.

I'm not with Eircom but can you get your telephone/ Internet bills/services in Irish?

Can't think of much more exempt if you want to include all the government forms/ websites that are available in Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: BÁC, Éire
And if you want to have Irish as an option in shops Woodies & Homebase have Irish on the department signs at least, Heatons have a bit too. Tescos used to have Bilingual signs on all aisles but it seems to be English only in the new ones, seems to be only old ones with Irish I'm not sure what the policy is on it thought I know they are campaigning for bilingual self service tills and even a dedicated Irish language manual til in the tesco in Clondalkin when they are trying to set up a Gaeltacht network area


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Somhairle Óg wrote:
I'm not sure what the policy is on it thought I know they are campaigning for bilingual self service tills and even a dedicated Irish language manual til in the tesco in Clondalkin when they are trying to set up a Gaeltacht network area

Of course, all self-service registers should ideally be replaced with Irish-speaking staff.

Death to machines that take people's jobs! :ninja:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 622
You can do your driving test in Irish.
Breandán wrote:
Death to machines that take people's jobs! :ninja:

Looking at the stack of dirty plates and cups in my kitchen right now, I'm kind of glad there's a machine that can handle that particular job. :D

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim fós. Fáilte roimh gach aon cheartúchán.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 11:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Mick wrote:
Looking at the stack of dirty plates and cups in my kitchen right now, I'm kind of glad there's a machine that can handle that particular job.
:LOL:

Here's a few more for our list that a friend of mine passed on:

USE YOUR ADDRESS AS GAEILGE

Pay your car tax

Pay your tv licence

Pay your household charge (if you plan on paying it!)

Make your tax return

Pay your NPPR

Register your septic tank

Buy your Luas ticket (I think that one was mentioned above)

Passport applications

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2013 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
I just remembered that I filled out the Irish language version of the census form. I had to ask specifically for it. Apparently they are supposed to ask each person which one they would like. I know a few people who didn't think of it and were sorry afterwards that they filled in the English language version instead. :bash:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: BÁC, Éire
I got offered an Irish census form but only after she took my name n it was in Irish it was more a 'oh I have them in Irish too if you want one', unfortunately she couldn't find one for me after rummaging around in her bag. Apparently only one other person had asked for one, and she must have visited hundreds if not thousands of houses and apartments in central dublin where I was living.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Somhairle Óg wrote:
I got offered an Irish census form but only after she took my name n it was in Irish it was more a 'oh I have them in Irish too if you want one', unfortunately she couldn't find one for me after rummaging around in her bag. Apparently only one other person had asked for one, and she must have visited hundreds if not thousands of houses and apartments in central dublin where I was living.
There are lots of people with 'English-sounding' names who speak Irish and lots of people with 'Irish-sounding' names who speak English; I think technically they are supposed to automatically offer it to everyone in Irish, but they don't.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: BÁC, Éire
Yeah I know, can't blame someone with no interest in Irish though for making that assumption though. I agree they should offer it in all cases without reference to who they are


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1425 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group