Saoirse wrote:
I am a member of this online community as I believe we are all here for the same reason - to promote a language that is important to us all for a myriad of different and interesting reasons. If I didn't believe that to be true, I'd leave in the morning.
Some of us live in Ireland and believe it is an important part of our identity (that is not the same as claiming to be native speakers); for others, the pull began with an aspect of culture, perhaps music or dancing and then the language drew them in; for others, the language had a draw for its linguistic appeal. And then, of course, we have the best resource on the site of all - people whose first language is Irish and they bring a richness that the rest of us can draw on with appreciation mixd with a little bit of envy!
My ideal situation would be that Ireland would not be divided into Gaeltachtaí and Galltachtai, but that Irish would be the first language of all. Unfortunately, it seems that is never going to happen. As regulars here know, I am not a native speaker nor have I ever claimed to be, nor will I ever be. I believed for a long time that, because of that, I didn't have the time or skills to acquire the ability to raise children through Irish. However, my husband and I both had an interest in the language and decided to 'try out' our school Irish with our newborn eight years ago. In the secure environment of a non-judgemental baby, we became used to speaking in Irish every day. Our limited exposure grew with our child. I will never sound like a native speaker, but I do not believe that what I am doing is helping to kill the language. I have begun plenty of threads on ILF asking if something is Béarlachas or not. I am trying to improve the quality of my Irish all the time.
I think a difficulty with the whole 'Urban' thing is that people understand it to be different things. A few people here have said at various times that there is a difference between someone speaking Irish without a 'Gaeltacht' accent and someone speaking Irish riddled with mistakes. (And as an aside, native speakers of English make lots of mistakes when speaking English too.) Perhaps that is the problem - we need to agree a definition of what it is we are talking about. Ironically, that was probably the purpose of this thread.
I believe, as lovers of Irish, we have a responsiblity to encourage people to use what Irish they have and, of course, to improve it. We need to be very careful about how we do that. If I had encountered some of the comments made here eight years ago, I may have abandoned our efforts with our daughter. I don't believe that it is anyone's intention to have that effect. Thankfully, I encountered positivity and support when I faced uncertainty.
In Ireland, we are used to being made to feel inadequate about our Irish, almost to feel that it is only people in the Gaeltacht who have the right to use the language. Our own Bríd (amongst others) is a breath of fresh air. I wish the country was full of people with her generosity to share her knowledge and time about Irish. Unfortunately, many people in the Gaeltacht itself choose not to bring up their children through Irish. We can teach as many adults the language as we like, but until people choose to raise their children through Irish, the language has no sustainable future. The numbers who were themselves raised through Irish are diminishing with each generation, so now the responsibility turns to those who weren't. This is certainly a challenge to be encouraged and supported.
I believe we can be idealistic and exclusive and watch the language die within a few short generations, but with our principles firmly intact. Or we can be practical and promote the language as best we can whilst obviously striving for quality, but ensuring that we encourage people to use what they have. Language is a powerful tool and if we choose to use it to discourage and criticise and perhaps ridicule, the outcome may not be what we intended.
This post is not directed at one person here; it is based on a culmination of comments I have recently read in a number of threads. I had chosen not to reply for a period of time, but then felt I was leaving it up to a few to voice a particular opinion.
Ultimately, does 'Urban' = 'learner Irish'
or does 'Urban' = Irish spoken outside of Gaeltacht areas?
I believe it means the latter.
I am not basing this on years of study. I am not as knowledgeable about linguistic matters as many of our members, but I believe that it is possible to make a positive contribution to the promotion of Irish without being a linguist. It would be simpler if I were a linguist - that's for sure!
Anyway, looking forward to Bliain na Gaeilge......
Saoirse and I are very much on the same page with this, which should come as no surprise to anyone who has known me for very long.
One of the reasons I posed this question is I wanted to know exactly what people were condemning when they condemn "Urban Irish." As I expected, it's quite a mixed bag...some of which I agree with and some of which I strongly disagree with.
A person
knowingly and deliberately using poor grammar, poor pronunciation, Béarlachas, English syntax, etc., and then trying to defend it as "my dialect, and therefore OK" is one thing. I'm sure it happens, but it's certainly not something I've run across often. I'm sure that we can all agree that, if and when that happens, it's not a good thing. This hasn't been my experience with speakers of Urban Irish, however.
My experience has been that most learners who care enough about the language to use it regularly are also quite open to correction, if it's offered kindly. Again, I'm sure there are exceptions. I'm sure there are also people who might normally be open to correction but who get put off if it's presented in the wrong context (for example, public correction, if unsolicited, is almost guaranteed to put someone's back up and cause a defensive reaction).
I have said before, and will say again, that if we insist on keeping Irish enshrined in the Gaeltacht, we will kill it. If we insist that all learners either choose an established dialect and stick with it, or follow an artificial standard (whether it be An Caighdeán Oifigiúil or Buntús Cainte), and shoot down those who follow a different path, we will kill it. Some of the Irish teachers I most respect (themselves native speakers) accept and support the fact that most learners learn a mixture of dialects...and that that's OK. Left to themselves and allowed to flourish, these "mixtures" will eventually tend to form a natural "middle dialect." The important thing, if the language is to survive as a living language and not as a museum piece, is to encourage people to use it, to live through it as much as possible, and to teach it to their children. To that end, I see the trend toward "Urban" Irish to be extremely positive.
Redwolf