It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 11:12 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2012 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
74. Chuaigh an madra ______ léim ______ a lámha.
74. Chuaigh an madra ag léim thar a lámha.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2012 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
I feel like I am crawling to the finish line here...... :taz: We need more smileys......

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2012 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
74. Chuaigh an madra ______ léim ______ a lámha.
74. Chuaigh an madra ag léim thar a lámha.


I suppose you could be right! But what I had in mind was: The dog went with a jump out of his hands (arms).

It's along the same lines as: I woke with a start (shock/jump).
Dhúisigh mé ___ gheit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2012 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
Dhúisigh mé ___ gheit.
Dhúisigh mé de gheit.

74. Chuaigh an madra de léim as a lámha. ???

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
Dhúisigh mé ___ gheit.
Dhúisigh mé de gheit.

74. Chuaigh an madra de léim as a lámha. ???

:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
75. D’éirigh ______ agus níor labhair siad ______ chéile ______ sin amach.
75. D’éirigh eatarthu agus níor labhair siad le chéile as sin amach.

(I had serious searching to do to find, 'D'éirigh eatarthu' - another new one for me)

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2012 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
75. D’éirigh ______ agus níor labhair siad ______ chéile ______ sin amach.
75. D’éirigh eatarthu agus níor labhair siad le chéile as sin amach.

(I had serious searching to do to find, 'D'éirigh eatarthu' - another new one for me)


Maith thú! Now I wonder if there's a difference between le chéile and lena chéile in a sentence like this. Could the first one mean 'together' i.e. 'at the same time' while the other means 'to each other'???

Has anybody any thoughts on this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
Now I wonder if there's a difference between le chéile and lena chéile in a sentence like this. Could the first one mean 'together' i.e. 'at the same time' while the other means 'to each other'??? Has anybody any thoughts on this?
I held out for twenty-four hours to see if you would get any feedback on this, but since opinions are unusually thin on the ground, I'll keep going...
Scooby wrote:
76. Abair ______ do Dhaid teacht isteach ______ seomra agus inis ______ céard atá ______. (= cearr leat).
76. Abair le do Dhaid teacht isteach sa seomra agus inis dó céard atá uait. (= cearr leat).

I'm not 100% confident that the ending of the sentence is what you intended, but it's the best I can come up with it.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
76. Abair ______ do Dhaid teacht isteach ______ seomra agus inis ______ céard atá ______. (= cearr leat).
76. Abair le do Dhaid teacht isteach sa seomra agus inis dó céard atá uait. (= cearr leat).

I'm not 100% confident that the ending of the sentence is what you intended, but it's the best I can come up with it.

I think céard atá ort "what is wrong with you" is called for, isn't it?

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Breandán wrote:
I think céard atá ort "what is wrong with you" is called for, isn't it?
Ceapaim go bhfuil an ceart agat. Grma.

So, we have: 76. Abair le do Dhaid teacht isteach sa seomra agus inis dó céard atá ort. (= cearr leat).

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1559 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group