An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Scooby can I ask a question about "idir" in the caighdeán, I read there recently that when "idir" means between and the singular article is proceeding it "idir an" then the noun should not come under the influence of the dative i.e it should be left in the ainmneach
"idir an buachaill" and "idir buachaill"
But when "idir" is followed by the plural artcle i.e "na" then the noun should be placed in the dative.
"idir na buachaillí(bh)" and "idir bhuachaillí(bh)"
This seems strange as "idir" in Munster is always kept in the dative when the article is following it. I know "gan" and "mar" are other finicky réamhfhocail.
Or have I this arse- ways?????
Here's how I understand it in the caighdeán:
Tá an cathaoir idir an buachaill agus an cailín. Tá an traein idir Corcaigh agus Baile Átha Cliath.Tá idir bhuachaillí agus chailíní sa seomra.Is beannaithe thú idir mhná (
idir mhnáibh - although I suppose this isn't in the caighdeán, just the way I learned it first).
So, yes, you're right. I don't think too much about the tuisil here.
In summary - when
idir means
both, it puts a séimhiú on both nouns that follow.
When
idir means
between is does not put séimhiús on the two nouns which follow.
But where
idir is followed by one (plural) noun only, then it puts a séimhiú on like most other prepositions.