It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 2:42 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
46. Is minic a bhíonn an chumhacht agus an chaimiléireacht fite fuaite ______ chéile.
47. ______ theacht abhaile ______, d’fhiafraigh sé ______ mháthair an raibh €10 ______ spáráil ______.
46. Is minic a bhíonn an chumhacht agus an chaimiléireacht fite fuaite le chéile.
47. Roimh theacht abhaile chuici, d’fhiafraigh sé dá mháthair an raibh €10 le spáráil aici.

I'm not completely confident that I have the intended meaning of the first half of 47.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
46. Is minic a bhíonn an chumhacht agus an chaimiléireacht fite fuaite ______ chéile.
47. ______ theacht abhaile ______, d’fhiafraigh sé ______ mháthair an raibh €10 ______ spáráil ______.
46. Is minic a bhíonn an chumhacht agus an chaimiléireacht fite fuaite le chéile.
47. Roimh theacht abhaile chuici, d’fhiafraigh sé dá mháthair an raibh €10 le spáráil aici.

I'm not completely confident that I have the intended meaning of the first half of 47.


re number 46, I was asking myself if there was any difference between fite fuaite le chéile and fite fuaite lena chéile but then I remembered that FGB has fite fuaite ina chéile. I have seen fite fuaite lena chéile many times, but ina chéile does make sense I suppose when you think of the meaning of fite fuaite (woven, sown).

re 47 I don't think chuici would be logical here. I was thinking of di (in the same kind of way as you'd say: Ar m'éirí dom ar maidin.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
46. Is minic a bhíonn an chumhacht agus an chaimiléireacht fite fuaite ______ chéile.
47. ______ theacht abhaile ______, d’fhiafraigh sé ______ mháthair an raibh €10 ______ spáráil ______.
46. Is minic a bhíonn an chumhacht agus an chaimiléireacht fite fuaite le chéile.
47. Roimh theacht abhaile chuici, d’fhiafraigh sé dá mháthair an raibh €10 le spáráil aici.

I'm not completely confident that I have the intended meaning of the first half of 47.


re number 46, I was asking myself if there was any difference between fite fuaite le chéile and fite fuaite lena chéile but then I remembered that FGB has fite fuaite ina chéile. I have seen fite fuaite lena chéile many times, but ina chéile does make sense I suppose when you think of the meaning of fite fuaite (woven, sown).

re 47 I don't think chuici would be logical here. I was thinking of di (in the same kind of way as you'd say: Ar m'éirí dom ar maidin.)
I was thinking that it meant, 'before coming home to her......' What is it supposed to mean? I don't understand that bit.

(I presumed that 46 was correct so didn't even refer to that in my post.)

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Roimh theacht abhaile di simply means 'before she came home'.
In the same way, Ar m'éirí dom ar maidin just means 'when I got up this morning / upon my rising this morning'.

I suppose you could just leave di out. And, on second thoughts chugam, chugat etc could work also in that case - albeit with a different meaning than I had originally intended. Even chuici works since she could have asked (her mother) for money over the phone before coming home to her mother! ...or she could have come home to some other female having asked her mother for money.

It wasn't meant to be that convoluted! :S


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
Roimh theacht abhaile di simply means 'before she came home'.
In the same way, Ar m'éirí dom ar maidin just means 'when I got up this morning / upon my rising this morning'.

I suppose you could just leave di out. And, on second thoughts chugam, chugat etc could work also in that case - albeit with a different meaning than I had originally intended. Even chuici works since she could have asked (her mother) for money over the phone before coming home to her mother! ...or she could have come home to some other female having asked her mother for money.

It wasn't meant to be that convoluted! :S
You have the patience of a saint, but it must get a lot more convoluted with a class of thirty! :pages:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
48. Chuir sí ______ gcuimhne ______ go raibh airgead ______ ______ [owed to her by him] cheana féin.
48. Chuir sí i gcuimhne dó go raibh airgead aici air [owed to her by him] cheana féin.

The owing money part is new to me and a bit confusing - hope I have it correct.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
I too have to think carefully about this type of phrase, but I reckon you're right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Scooby wrote:
Ar m'éirí dom ar maidin

Just wanted to check, Scooby, but is that m' meant to be there? Shouldn't it be Ar éirí dom ar maidin or Ar éirí ar maidin dom?

The meaning is "upon my getting up this morning", but where English uses a possessive pronoun, Irish uses do + pronoun instead of the possessive pronoun, does it not?

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
I see your point Breandán, but I didn't just make up the phrase. It sprang into my mind and is in the song Seán Ó Duibhir a' Ghleanna.

A quick Google finds the exact phrase in other songs also and in a beginners' Irish book by Gabriel Rosenstock.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2012 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Scooby wrote:
I see your point Breandán, but I didn't just make up the phrase. It sprang into my mind and is in the song Seán Ó Duibhir a' Ghleanna.

A quick Google finds the exact phrase in other songs also and in a beginners' Irish book by Gabriel Rosenstock.

Ah, I see. So it's not used instead of, but rather in addition to the possessive pronoun. Interesting. I had that one wrong then. Thanks for checking and clarifying it for me. :GRMA:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1190 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group