It is currently Thu 24 Jun 2021 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr 2021 7:41 am 

Here's the context -

Acht faoi dheireadh nuair d'imthigh sí d'éirigh Páidín, agus chuir sé an méad óir a bhí cruinnighthe aici ann a phóca, agus amach leis.

which is translated as -

But at last when she went away Paudyeen rose up, and he put the amount of gold that was gathered by her there into his pocket, and out with him.

What I don't understand is where the word - into (his pocket) is precisely in this sentence. Is it included in the verb - chuir sé ? or does the word - ann - not mean - there (the place where she had gathered the gold), but into ? or is it simply implied ?

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr 2021 8:49 am 

franc 91 wrote:
Here's the context -

Acht faoi dheireadh nuair d'imthigh sí d'éirigh Páidín, agus chuir sé an méad óir a bhí cruinnighthe aici ann a phóca, agus amach leis.

which is translated as -

But at last when she went away Paudyeen rose up, and he put the amount of gold that was gathered by her there into his pocket, and out with him.

What I don't understand is where the word - into (his pocket) is precisely in this sentence. Is it included in the verb - chuir sé ? or does the word - ann - not mean - there (the place where she had gathered the gold), but into ? or is it simply implied ?

Probably:
ann a = ina = into his

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr 2021 9:21 am 

Ceart go leor, go raibh maith agat a chara.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr 2021 10:46 am 

That would explain this example as well - ann áit - which is translated as - instead of -

Chuaidh Páidín cum an aonaigh, agus ann áit é bheith tígheacht a bhaile leis an airgiod a fuair sé air a shean-asal.......

I was wondering why 'ann' was there.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr 2021 6:41 pm 

Yes.
It is often difficult to decipher pre-reform spellings, older Classical Irish spellings or even alternative or plain wrong spellings.
It helps to read aloud (in case you know the correct pronunciation), e.g. "in": This spelling is purely etymologic. There's actually no /i/ and no slender /n/ (before áit) but a schwa /ə/ and a broad and rather tense dental /n̪/. So, to write "ann" for "in" or "i n-" is orthographically wrong but phonetically logical.

In other words: If you pronounce ann áit as əˈn̪ɑːtʲ you will know that the correct spelling is in áit because it is pronounced exactly so. ;)

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2021 8:19 pm 

Here's another word I'm not sure of (and of course it's not in the dictionary) - the word is - ionnán (with a fada - should that be there or not ?) I'm guessing it's a variant form of - ionat.
Here's the context -

"Ná bíodh aon fhaitchios ort rómham-sa," ar san fear beag, "béidh mé i mo charaid maith dhuit-se má tá tu ionnán run do chongbháil."
"Táim go deimhin.

- and he never puts a fada on - tú - (is that normal ?)
I understand what it all means, but it's just that single word that I'm not sure about.

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2021 9:54 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
Here's another word I'm not sure of (and of course it's not in the dictionary) - the word is - ionnán (with a fada - should that be there or not ?) I'm guessing it's a variant form of - ionat.
Here's the context -

"Ná bíodh aon fhaitchios ort rómham-sa," ar san fear beag, "béidh mé i mo charaid maith dhuit-se má tá tu ionnán run do chongbháil."
"Táim go deimhin.

I guess it’s standard in ann ‘able’ (I will be a good friend to you if you’re able to keep a secret).

I don’t think it’s a traditional way to spell it (but then in ann apparently comes from in inmhe, so the standard spelling also isn’t too etymological…).

franc 91 wrote:
- and he never puts a fada on - tú - (is that normal ?)

I’d say pretty normal when it’s not pronounced long in the dialect written down.

EDIT: also, it seems you already asked about the same exact passage in that post :P.

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2021 10:26 pm 

Yes of course you're right :facepalm: