It is currently Wed 05 May 2021 8:52 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2021 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 58
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for some good collections of folklore to read in the Connacht dialect.

Míle buíochas,

Oscar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2021 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2113
Location: 91 - France
Dia dhuit a chara,
here are a few suggestions to get you started - these are collections of traditional stories that you can get from CIC.ie -

Bróga Páipéir agus Stocaí Bainne Ramhair - collected from Micheál Breathnach

An Chaora Ghlas agus scéalta as Seanadh Farracháin

Ón tSeanam Anall - Scéalta Mhící Bháin Uí Bheim

The other obvious source is from the School's Collection on Dúchas.ie where you can go down the list of counties and choose which one you want.

Is mise le meas
Franc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar 2021 1:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 58
franc 91 wrote:
Dia dhuit a chara,
here are a few suggestions to get you started - these are collections of traditional stories that you can get from CIC.ie -

Bróga Páipéir agus Stocaí Bainne Ramhair - collected from Micheál Breathnach

An Chaora Ghlas agus scéalta as Seanadh Farracháin

Ón tSeanam Anall - Scéalta Mhící Bháin Uí Bheim

The other obvious source is from the School's Collection on Dúchas.ie where you can go down the list of counties and choose which one you want.

Is mise le meas
Franc


Thanks a million for this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar 2021 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2113
Location: 91 - France
Here are a few more - but I must warn you that quite often they're difficult to get hold of, unless of course you live in Ireland and can go along to the library.

Eochair Mac Rí in Éirinn - by Éamon a Búrc ISBN 978 0 9064 2608 1 - Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann 1982

Éamon a Búrc : Scéalta - Peadar Ó Ceannabháin a chuir in eagar - An Clóchamar Téoranta 1983

Seoda ár Sinsear - by Eddie Bheairtle Ó Conghaile ISBN 978 1 9024 2013 4 - Cló Iar-Chonnachta 1999

Scéalta Mháirtín Neile - ISBN 978 0 906426 17 0 - Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann 1994
(Bailiúchán Scéalta ó Árainn - Holger Pedersen a thóg síos sa bhliain 1895 - Ole Munch-Pedersen a chóirigh agus a chuir in eagar)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar 2021 2:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2014 10:03 pm
Posts: 468
Location: SAM
There's also Seanchas Jimmí Chearra: Cois Fharraige, which has had *very* little standardization done to it and so is a great grasp of the dialect itself (I wish more would be published without standardization).

You could also check out my blog, where I transcribe and write dialectal notes on stories from the IFC's Main Manuscript Collection (mainly those from Éamonn a' Búrc currently). Mac Coisdealbha, who collected in Iorrus Aithneach, transcribed as he heard the words, so lots of good intuition into the dialect as opposed to the Caighdeán: gaeilgechonamara.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar 2021 12:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 58
galaxyrocker wrote:
There's also Seanchas Jimmí Chearra: Cois Fharraige, which has had *very* little standardization done to it and so is a great grasp of the dialect itself (I wish more would be published without standardization).

You could also check out my blog, where I transcribe and write dialectal notes on stories from the IFC's Main Manuscript Collection (mainly those from Éamonn a' Búrc currently). Mac Coisdealbha, who collected in Iorrus Aithneach, transcribed as he heard the words, so lots of good intuition into the dialect as opposed to the Caighdeán: gaeilgechonamara.com/


Thanks for the suggestion. That should be very useful as I've already studied 'Learning Irish' by Mícheál Ó Siadhail. You're dead right about standardisation.

I've just been browsing your blog and finding it extremely interesting. I will surely be using it as a resource in future.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar 2021 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2936
galaxyrocker wrote:
There's also Seanchas Jimmí Chearra: Cois Fharraige, which has had *very* little standardization done to it and so is a great grasp of the dialect itself (I wish more would be published without standardization).

You could also check out my blog, where I transcribe and write dialectal notes on stories from the IFC's Main Manuscript Collection (mainly those from Éamonn a' Búrc currently). Mac Coisdealbha, who collected in Iorrus Aithneach, transcribed as he heard the words, so lots of good intuition into the dialect as opposed to the Caighdeán: gaeilgechonamara.com/


Seanchas Jimmí Chearra - I have that book too. I agree about standardisation, the real language will be lost if it's not written as it's spoken. There aren't enough audio recordings with the older generation, now sadly too late for a lot of them. As my generation, and younger, anybody who has gone to school really, have lost a lot of the "blas". I get it mixed up in my head a lot of the time.

gaeilgechonamara.com - Brilliant site. I hadn't seen it before. And I notice we're friends on Facebook and I didn't even know it was you. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr 2021 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 58
franc 91 wrote:
Here are a few more - but I must warn you that quite often they're difficult to get hold of, unless of course you live in Ireland and can go along to the library.

Eochair Mac Rí in Éirinn - by Éamon a Búrc ISBN 978 0 9064 2608 1 - Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann 1982

Éamon a Búrc : Scéalta - Peadar Ó Ceannabháin a chuir in eagar - An Clóchamar Téoranta 1983

Seoda ár Sinsear - by Eddie Bheairtle Ó Conghaile ISBN 978 1 9024 2013 4 - Cló Iar-Chonnachta 1999

Scéalta Mháirtín Neile - ISBN 978 0 906426 17 0 - Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann 1994
(Bailiúchán Scéalta ó Árainn - Holger Pedersen a thóg síos sa bhliain 1895 - Ole Munch-Pedersen a chóirigh agus a chuir in eagar)


Hey, it just occurred to me to ask. Is there much standardisation in these books?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr 2021 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2113
Location: 91 - France
These are re-editions of older material. For example that last one was a collection of stories noted down but had been forgotten about for many years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2021 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2014 10:03 pm
Posts: 468
Location: SAM
gliaire wrote:
franc 91 wrote:
Here are a few more - but I must warn you that quite often they're difficult to get hold of, unless of course you live in Ireland and can go along to the library.

Eochair Mac Rí in Éirinn - by Éamon a Búrc ISBN 978 0 9064 2608 1 - Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann 1982

Éamon a Búrc : Scéalta - Peadar Ó Ceannabháin a chuir in eagar - An Clóchamar Téoranta 1983

Seoda ár Sinsear - by Eddie Bheairtle Ó Conghaile ISBN 978 1 9024 2013 4 - Cló Iar-Chonnachta 1999

Scéalta Mháirtín Neile - ISBN 978 0 906426 17 0 - Comhairle Bhéaloideas Éireann 1994
(Bailiúchán Scéalta ó Árainn - Holger Pedersen a thóg síos sa bhliain 1895 - Ole Munch-Pedersen a chóirigh agus a chuir in eagar)


Hey, it just occurred to me to ask. Is there much standardisation in these books?


Sadly there is. At least the second of Éamonn a' Búrc books has undergone signification standardization, much to my dismay. I'm currently working on transcribing some of his stories from the Main Maunscript Collection on the blog linked by Bríd earlier, with no standardization being done. It's great as Mac Coisdealbha, who wrote and transcribed them originally, didn't standardized things but wrote what he heard.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 71 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group