It is currently Sun 16 May 2021 9:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Old and Middle Irish
PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr 2021 11:33 am 

Go raibh maith agat, a chara.

The next question of course is why is the initial 'B' on the verb - (B)Aí - not there ? The 'A' is in fact written as a capital letter, but quite often you get two capital letters together, in examples such as 'IS'.
It could be just simply carelessness, but even so, surely it would stick out like a sore thumb that it was missing. Are there other instances of missing initials like this one ? I was also wondering whether it might even be a dialectical usage and thus be perfectly normal. :dhera:
I have come across one example of a large missing capital letter, - (S)ed - but that is because it has faded away. You can just make it out and once it's been printed out, you can go over it with a thin pen line. It's the Lord's Prayer in Latin and Irish in a quotation from the Bible used as a heading for a homily to be found in the Liber Hymnorum. I think it is the earliest example of this prayer that we have in Irish. There's a transcription of it in O'Donovan (available from Internet Archive).

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr 2021 1:38 am 

franc 91 wrote:
The next question of course is why is the initial 'B' on the verb - (B)Aí - not there ?

This is simply because it was intended that an artist would later come along and add an ornate 'B' to mark the beginning of the story. But they probably ran out out of money / time, so it was never completed. It is extremely common for the initial not to be included for this reason. I mentioned this in one of my previous replies above.

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr 2021 9:42 am 

Ceart go leor.

Agus Beannachtaí na Cásca oraibh go léir. ;)