It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 2:49 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Leipzig < Germany
Hello everybody,

after I took my time with Irish I think I might start to understand the structure and everything, even so I am still a very beginner and I would gladly listen to your improvements. To prepare for my exam I had to write a dialoge in which I fit everything I had to learn for the exam. (It didn't fit in). So it would be very kind of you, if you could check it or correct it, if necessary.

Frederica: A Dhenise, dia dhuit. An bhfuil tú chomh maith mar gheall ar an scrúdú anseo? (Denise, Hello. Are you here because of the exam as well?)

Denise: Dia is Muire dhuit, Frederica. Tá, muis. Beidh mo scrúdú tosaigh ag a dó dhéag a chlog. (Dear as well Hello, Friederike. Yes, indeed. My exam will start at 12 o'Clock.)

Frederica:Is é sin iontach. Beidh mise ag an scrúdú ag a dó dhéag a chlog freisin. Sílim go mbeidh muid ag scrúdú le chéile. (That is amazing. I will be at the exam at 12 o'clock, too. I think we are at the exam together.)

Denise:Is é sin iontach muise. An bhfuil tú neirbhíseach? (That is indeed wonderful. Are you nervous?)

Frederica:Ar ndóigh. Tá mé cinnéal neirbhíseach. A tusa? (Of Course. I am sort of nervous. And you?)

Denise:Bhoil, Bíonn mise neirbhiseach roimh an scrúdú. Ach, Tá moladh iontach agam. B'fhéidir, má bhíonn muid caint le chéile roimh scrúdu, beidh muid go níos fearr ann agus ní bheidh mar neirbhíseach.(Well, I am usually nervous before an exam. But I have a great idea. Maybe, if we talk to each other before the exam, we will be better and won't be so nervous.)

Frederica:Is maith liom moladh iontach muis. Mar, … Beidh mé ag tosú. „Cad is ainm duitse?“ (I indeed like this suggestion. So,... I will begin. „What is your name?“)

Denise::„Denise is ainm dom. A tusa?“ (My name is Denise, and yours?“)

Frederica: „Frederica is ainm domsa! Conas ata tú anois?“ (My name is Frederica. How are you now?)

Denise:Tá mé go maith anois. An bhfuil tú go maith freisin? („I feel good now. Are you feeling good now too?)

Frederica:„Níl mé go mar breá! Ach cé as bhfuil tú?“ (I don't feel so good. But, where are you from?)

Denise: Is as Éireannach mé ach tá mé i mo chonái i Leipzig mar gheall ar an t-ollscoil anois.
(„I am from Ireland, but now I live in Leipzig because of the university .“)

Frederica: Hahaha, Ná bréag. Tá a fhios agam go nach Éireannach tusa. Is as an Thuringia i Gearmáin tú, cosuil liom.
(Hahah. Don't lie! I know, that you aren't an Ireland. You are from Thuringia in Germany, like mé.)


Denise: Is fíor. Ach is maith liom Éire go mór. Má mbeadh bhráithre éireannach agam, bhínn in Éirinn gach saoire. (You are right. But I do like Ireland very much. If I had Irish Brethren, I would be in Ireland every holiday.)

Frederica:Ach, níl bhráithre éireannach agat nó go bhfuil? (But you don't have Irish Brethren, or have you?)

Denise: Níl, ach tá deirfiúr daor amháin. An bhfuil deifiúracha nó deartháireacha agam fein? (No, but I have a dear sister. Do you have brothers or sisters yourself?)

Frederica: Bhí mé i mo chónaí ach amháin le mo mháthair, sheanmháthair agus seanathair cé go bhfuil leasdeartháir amháin mé. Tá an t-athair céanna againn, ach tá mathair eile ag sé. Ní raibh muid ag caint do chéile ar chor ar bith.. (I was only living with my mother, grandmother and grandfather although I have one stepbrother. We have the same father, but he has another mother. We never did talk to each other at all.)

Denise: Bhoil, tá sín é go brónach. (Well, that is sad)

Frederica:Nil, tá sín é ceart go leor . Ach tá sé dó dhéag a chlog. Tá ár scrúdú ag tosaigh.Go n-éirí an bóthar leat! (No, it is alright. But it is twelve o'clock. Our exam is starting. Good luck to you.)

Denise: Tá, Go n-éirí an bóthar leatsa freisin. (Yes, good luck to you, too.)



Few... that was much coding for a simple dialogue. >< Sometimes I am really confused about where to put which word. But maybe you could help me alittle bit.

Sincerely LapaSaiza


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Will you get a mark for this work? Because nobody here will make your work for you :)
But we are glad to help if it's something else

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 5:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Leipzig < Germany
My exam will be indeed a dialogue, but with my teacher. This was an excercise to get used to using the language in a more "lively" way. So instead of talking like a strange fellow ("This is a house and I have an uncle") I've tried to write something that could happen in real.
I just want to know where the mistakes are and what I have to pay more attention to. I know that lenition and eclipse are hugh problems for me. But I can't see those mistakes by myself. Therefor I hope someone here could tell me where to look for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
I think the "rule of thumb" is that it is okay to help provided that the person makes an attempt themselves and that the corrected result won't be submitted directly for assessment.

As LapaSaiza has made an attempt and this is only preparation for an oral exam, not the exam material itself, I think we should be okay helping out. :D

Some pointers:

Foreign names aren't usually lenited just add the vocative particle a, e.g., a Denise.

"And you?" is Agus tusa? rather than a tusa?*.

"So" is "mar sin" (although some speakers are starting to say só especially in the North.)

nach replaces go in the negative, so it shouldn't be go nach*.

Others will be along with more, I am sure ...

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Here is a corrected version (feel free to compare with yours and ask me why something was wrong)

Frederica: A Denise, Dia dhuit. An bhfuil tú anseo mar gheall ar an scrúdú chomh maith ? (Denise, Hello. Are you here because of the exam as well?)

Denise: Dia is Muire dhuit, Frederica. Tá, muise. Tosóidh mo scrúdú ag a dó dhéag a chlog. (Dear as well Hello, Friederike. Yes, indeed. My exam will start at 12 o'Clock.)

Frederica: Tá sin iontach. Beidh mise ag an scrúdú ag a dó dhéag a chlog freisin. Sílim go mbeidh muid ag an scrúdú le chéile. (That is amazing. I will be at the exam at 12 o'clock, too. I think we are at the exam together.)

Denise: Tá sin iontach, muise. An bhfuil tú neirbhíseach? (That is indeed wonderful. Are you nervous?)

Frederica:Ar ndóigh. Tá mé cineál neirbhíseach. Agus tusa? (Of Course. I am sort of nervous. And you?)

Denise:Bhoil, bímse neirbhíseach roimh scrúduithe. Ach tá moladh iontach agam. B'fhéidir, má bhímid ag caint le chéile roimh an scrúdu, beidh muid níos fearr ann agus ní bheimid chomh neirbhíseach.(Well, I am usually nervous before an exam. But I have a great idea. Maybe, if we talk to each other before the exam, we will be better and won't be so nervous.)

Frederica: Is maith liom an moladh iontach sin, muise. Mar sin, … Tosóidh mise. „Cad is ainm duit?“ (I indeed like this suggestion. So,... I will begin. „What is your name?“)

Denise::„Denise is ainm dom. Cad is ainm duitse (féin)?“ (My name is Denise, and yours?“)

Frederica: „Frederica is ainm domsa! Conas ata tú anois?“ (My name is Frederica. How are you now?)

Denise:Tá mé go maith anois. An bhfuil tusa go maith freisin? („I feel good now. Are you feeling good now too?)

Frederica:„Níl mise chomh maith sin! Ach cé as a bhfuil tú?“ (I don't feel so good. But, where are you from?)

Denise: Is as Éirinn mé ach tá mé i mo chónaí i Leipzig mar gheall ar an ollscoil anois.
(„I am from Ireland, but now I live in Leipzig because of the university .“)

Frederica: Hahaha, Ná hinis bréag. Tá a fhios agam nach Éireannach thusa. Is as Thuringia sa Ghearmáin thú, mar mise féin.
(Hahah. Don't lie! I know, that you aren't an Ireland. You are from Thuringia in Germany, like mé.)

Denise: Tá an ceart agat. Ach is maith liom Éire go mór. Dá mbeadh deartháireacha Éireannacha agam, bheinn in Éirinn ar gach lá saor (?). (You are right. But I do like Ireland very much. If I had Irish Brethren, I would be in Ireland every holiday.)

Frederica:Ach, níl deartháireacha Éireannacha agat, an bhfuil? (But you don't have Irish Brethren, or have you?)

Denise: Níl, ach tá deirfiúr chóir (?) agam. An bhfuil deirfiúracha nó deartháireacha agatsa? (No, but I have a dear sister. Do you have brothers or sisters yourself?)

Frederica: Ní raibh mise i mo chónaí ach le mo mháthair, le mo sheanmháthair agus le mo sheanathair cé go bhfuil leasdeartháir amháin agam. Tá an t-athair céanna againn, ach tá máthair eile aige sin. Níor labhair muid le chéile riamh. (I was only living with my mother, grandmother and grandfather although I have one stepbrother. We have the same father, but he has another mother. We never did talk to each other at all.)

Denise: Bhoil, is trua sin. (Well, that is sad)

Frederica: Níl, tá sin ceart go leor. Ach tá sé a dó dhéag a chlog. Tá ár scrúdú ag tosú. Go n-éirí leat! (No, it is alright. But it is twelve o'clock. Our exam is starting. Good luck to you.)

Denise: Tá, go n-éirí leatsa freisin. (Yes, good luck to you, too.)

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
LapaSaiza wrote:
Frederica: A Dhenise, dia dhuit. An bhfuil tú chomh maith mar gheall ar an scrúdú anseo? (Denise, Hello. Are you here because of the exam as well?)
An bhfuil tú anseo (here) chomh maith mar gheall ar an scrúdú anseo?

Frederica:Is é sin iontach. Beidh mise ag an scrúdú ag a dó dhéag a chlog freisin. Sílim go mbeidh muid ag an scrúdú le chéile. (That is amazing. I will be at the exam at 12 o'clock, too. I think we are at the exam together.)
Tá sé sin iontach.
...ag an scrúdú...

Denise:Is é sin iontach muise. An bhfuil tú neirbhíseach? (That is indeed wonderful. Are you nervous?)
Tá sé sin iontach muise (or you can say "cinnte" instead of "muise" too).

Frederica:Ar ndóigh. Tá mé cinnéal neirbhíseach. A tusa? (Of Course. I am sort of nervous. And you?)
Agus tusa. OR An bhfuil tusa?

Denise:Bhoil, Bíonn mise neirbhiseach roimh an scrúdú. Ach, Tá moladh iontach agam. B'fhéidir, má bhíonn muid caint le chéile roimh scrúdu, beidh muid go níos fearr ann agus ní bheidh mar neirbhíseach.(Well, I am usually nervous before an exam. But I have a great idea. Maybe, if we talk to each other before the exam, we will be better and won't be so nervous.)
má bhualann muid le chéile[if we meet] roimh an scrúdú ...

bheadh [conditional tense] muid go níos fearr ann agus ní bheadh muid mar chomh [as] neirbhíseach.

Frederica:Is maith liom moladh iontach muis. Mar, … Beidh mé ag tosú. „Cad is ainm duitse?“ (I indeed like this suggestion. So,... I will begin. „What is your name?“)
Like Breandán said.

Denise::„Denise is ainm dom. A tusa?“ (My name is Denise, and yours?“)

Frederica: „Frederica is ainm domsa! Conas ata tú anois?“ (My name is Frederica. How are you now?)

Denise:Tá mé go maith anois. An bhfuil tú go maith freisin? („I feel good now. Are you feeling good now too?)

Frederica:„Níl mé go mar breá! Ach cé as bhfuil tú?“ (I don't feel so good. But, where are you from?)
Níl mé go breá! OR Níl mé iontach.
Cé as thú?

Denise: Is as Éireannach mé ach tá mé i mo chonái i Leipzig mar gheall ar an t-ollscoil anois.
(„I am from Ireland, but now I live in Leipzig because of the university .“)
Is as Éireannach mé.


Frederica: Hahaha, Ná bréag. Tá a fhios agam go nach Éireannach tusa. Is as an Thuringia i Gearmáin tú, cosuil liom.
(Hahah. Don't lie! I know, that you aren't an Ireland. You are from Thuringia in Germany, like mé.)
Ná bréag [the "bréag" you have there is a noun, so you need a verb] Ná bí ag bréagadh. OR Ná hinis bréag.
...cosúil liomsa...


Denise: Is fíor. Ach is maith liom Éire go mór. Má mbeadh bhráithre éireannach agam, bhínn in Éirinn gach saoire. (You are right. But I do like Ireland very much. If I had Irish Brethren, I would be in Ireland every holiday.)

Frederica:Ach, níl bhráithre éireannach agat nó go bhfuil? (But you don't have Irish Brethren, or have you?)

We don't really say "siblings" (Geschwister) in Irish like you'd say commonly in German. Personally I'd say "faimilí" but your teacher won't like that. :D Maybe "gaolta" relatives.

nó go bhfuil?

Denise: Níl, ach tá deirfiúr daor amháin. An bhfuil deifiúracha nó deartháireacha agam fein? (No, but I have a dear sister. Do you have brothers or sisters yourself?)
deirfiúr daor amháin agam. (Daor means expensive).

Frederica: Bhí mé i mo chónaí ach amháin le mo mháthair, sheanmháthair agus seanathair cé go bhfuil leasdeartháir amháin mé. Tá an t-athair céanna againn, ach tá mathair eile ag sé. Ní raibh muid ag caint do chéile ar chor ar bith.. (I was only living with my mother, grandmother and grandfather although I have one stepbrother. We have the same father, but he has another mother. We never did talk to each other at all.)
... ag sé - ... aigesan
leasdeartháir amháin mé agam.
Ní raibh muid ag caint do le chéile ar chor ar bith


Denise: Bhoil, tá sín é go brónach. (Well, that is sad)

Frederica:Níl, tá sín é ceart go leor . Ach tá sé dó dhéag a chlog. Tá ár scrúdú ag tosaigh. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat! (No, it is alright. But it is twelve o'clock. Our exam is starting. Good luck to you.)

Denise: Tá, Go n-éirí an bóthar leatsa freisin. (Yes, good luck to you, too.)


Good job :good:
Wait for more corrections, or corrections on my corrections. :D

Ahh crossed with Lughaidh - go with his.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: roimh scrúdú
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
deirfiúracha nó deartháireacha - like Lughaidh said :good:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1194 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group