It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 3:34 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
A friend of mine took this photo at the Steinbeck Center in downtown Salinas, California...right in the heart of cowboy country! This phrase was repeaated in multiple languages in different windows. The number of times I've seen things written in various languages and suggested Irish only to be met with blank stares...this just warms my heart!

Image


Last edited by Breandán on Sat 01 Feb 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Changed link to point to resized image.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
There is also Irish on display in SF, at the Martin Luther King, Jr. monument in Yerba Buena Gardens in the Financial District. They have his "Let justice roll like a river" speech there in a number of languages, and one of them is in Irish. They may have it in Scottish Gaelic and/or Welsh, too, but I haven't been there for quite a while, so I'm not sure.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
CaoimhínSF wrote:
There is also Irish on display in SF, at the Martin Luther King, Jr. monument in Buena Vista Gardens in the Financial District. They have his "Let justice roll like a river" speech there in a number of languages, and one of them is in Irish. They may have it in Scottish Gaelic and/or Welsh, too, but I haven't been there for quite a while, so I'm not sure.


Is that Yerba Buena Gardens? That's my daughter's stomping grounds...I'll have to check it out!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 1:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
There was Scottish Gaelic near the pool on the cruise ship we were on last year (the Nieuw Amsterdam). Just "uisge," but every little bit...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 3:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
:^:
There is hope for us yet!!
:good:

If ever I get to California, I will just have to see that!

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Is it just me or is that photo mór millteach!! 8O

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan 2014 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Quote:
Is that Yerba Buena Gardens? That's my daughter's stomping grounds...I'll have to check it out!


Yes, that's what I meant to say. I've corrected it.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
It's very big

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Yeah...if it were mine, I would have re-sized it, but I just copied the URL from my friend's Facebook page.

It seems that phone uploads are often rather large.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
I looked for a tech solution but the implementation of BBCode in the forum software won't allow image resizing. :(

Instead I dowloaded the image, resized it and uploaded it to our server. I took the liberty of editing the link in Redwolf's post to point to the resized image. Sorry for the intrusion.

Hope this helps.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1299 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group