It is currently Thu 01 Oct 2026 7:35 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Feb 2014 8:17 pm
Posts: 2
Greetings all,

I am trying to find the proper translation for 'By the Grace if God' in Irish, or Gaeilge if you will. I have found a few translations such as: ' 'le grásta Dé'' and 'Trí dheonú Dé' but I want to positive on the literal translation. I was born in Swinford, County Mayo but moved to U.S. at a very young age and, therefore, have not learned Irish.

I am looking for the translation to complete a tattoo and so, of course, am looking for the correct and proper translation and want to be assured it is 100% correct. The more people that can confirm the correct translation, the better. Or anyone that is an accredited Irish translator would be much appreciated as well.

I welcome suggestions on proper font as it is going to surround a shamrock tattoo I have which is done in a Celtic style.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

FYI: This has also been posted to the Reddit forum for Gaeilge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Deonú is a consent or a grant. Trí dheonú Dé is like "By the consent of God".
Grásta means grace in the normal religious sense (it has other meanings).

I think it depends on what you mean exactly. Grace is God's redeeming power, where as you might mean something more like, By God's grace I get to work on this beautiful island which I think Trí dheonú Dé might work better with.

I don't know what others think.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Feb 2014 8:17 pm
Posts: 2
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Deonú is a consent or a grant. Trí dheonú Dé is like "By the consent of God".
Grásta means grace in the normal religious sense (it has other meanings).

I think it depends on what you mean exactly. Grace is God's redeeming power, where as you might mean something more like, By God's grace I get to work on this beautiful island which I think Trí dheonú Dé might work better with.

I don't know what others think.


Thank you for your response. I want the 100% literal meaning, as that exact phrase has multiple meanings for me. Ex: By the Grace of God....I am Irish. By the Grace of God, I am able to help others, etc. I may have found the literal translation and would like your (and any others) opinion:

"trí ghrásta Dé"

Thanks!

Patrick


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
pscirish wrote:
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Deonú is a consent or a grant. Trí dheonú Dé is like "By the consent of God".
Grásta means grace in the normal religious sense (it has other meanings).

I think it depends on what you mean exactly. Grace is God's redeeming power, where as you might mean something more like, By God's grace I get to work on this beautiful island which I think Trí dheonú Dé might work better with.

I don't know what others think.


Thank you for your response. I want the 100% literal meaning, as that exact phrase has multiple meanings for me. Ex: By the Grace of God....I am Irish. By the Grace of God, I am able to help others, etc. I may have found the literal translation and would like your (and any others) opinion:

"trí ghrásta Dé"

Thanks!

Patrick


I think this needs more eyes on it.

I would think that "Trí ghrásta Dé" would work.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb 2014 11:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Redwolf wrote:
pscirish wrote:
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Deonú is a consent or a grant. Trí dheonú Dé is like "By the consent of God".
Grásta means grace in the normal religious sense (it has other meanings).

I think it depends on what you mean exactly. Grace is God's redeeming power, where as you might mean something more like, By God's grace I get to work on this beautiful island which I think Trí dheonú Dé might work better with.

I don't know what others think.


Thank you for your response. I want the 100% literal meaning, as that exact phrase has multiple meanings for me. Ex: By the Grace of God....I am Irish. By the Grace of God, I am able to help others, etc. I may have found the literal translation and would like your (and any others) opinion:

"trí ghrásta Dé"

Thanks!

Patrick


I think this needs more eyes on it.

I would think that "Trí ghrásta Dé" would work.

Redwolf


Yes, that's the literal meaning. :good:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 8:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
There are a few ways of saying it in the Bible.

le grásta Dé. (1 Cor 15:10)
ar ghrásta Dé. (2 Cor 1:12)
trí ghrásta Dé. (Heb 2:9)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
MacBoo wrote:
There are a few ways of saying it in the Bible.

le grásta Dé. (1 Cor 15:10)
ar ghrásta Dé. (2 Cor 1:12)
trí ghrásta Dé. (Heb 2:9)


Le Grásta Dé - that's correct too.

I wouldn't use - "ar grásta Dé" :no:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Bríd Mhór wrote:
MacBoo wrote:
There are a few ways of saying it in the Bible.

le grásta Dé. (1 Cor 15:10)
ar ghrásta Dé. (2 Cor 1:12)
trí ghrásta Dé. (Heb 2:9)


Le Grásta Dé - that's correct too.

I wouldn't use - "ar grásta Dé" :no:

Yeah, I think that use of ar arises because the Irish verse uses the verb brath which takes ar as a preposition:

agus ní ar eagna dhaonna a bhíomar ag brath ach ar ghrásta Dé.
"and it is not on earthly wisdom that we were depending but on God's grace."

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
pscirish wrote:
Greetings all,

I am trying to find the proper translation for 'By the Grace if God' in Irish, or Gaeilge if you will. I have found a few translations such as: ' 'le grásta Dé'' and 'Trí dheonú Dé' but I want to positive on the literal translation. I was born in Swinford, County Mayo but moved to U.S. at a very young age and, therefore, have not learned Irish.

I am looking for the translation to complete a tattoo and so, of course, am looking for the correct and proper translation and want to be assured it is 100% correct. The more people that can confirm the correct translation, the better. Or anyone that is an accredited Irish translator would be much appreciated as well.

I welcome suggestions on proper font as it is going to surround a shamrock tattoo I have which is done in a Celtic style.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

FYI: This has also been posted to the Reddit forum for Gaeilge.


As was already given:
Le grásta Dé
or
Trí ghrásta Dé
look fine to me and I would stand by either of these as a translation if asked for a translation of
'By the Grace of God'

You could spend time going down the contexts road of 'grace' meaning 'favour', etc. but given the words 'By the Grace of God' as given like this, I would stick with the above; and generally in Irish I would not capitalise the 'G' as given in the English.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Braoin wrote:
pscirish wrote:
Greetings all,

I am trying to find the proper translation for 'By the Grace if God' in Irish, or Gaeilge if you will. I have found a few translations such as: ' 'le grásta Dé'' and 'Trí dheonú Dé' but I want to positive on the literal translation. I was born in Swinford, County Mayo but moved to U.S. at a very young age and, therefore, have not learned Irish.

I am looking for the translation to complete a tattoo and so, of course, am looking for the correct and proper translation and want to be assured it is 100% correct. The more people that can confirm the correct translation, the better. Or anyone that is an accredited Irish translator would be much appreciated as well.

I welcome suggestions on proper font as it is going to surround a shamrock tattoo I have which is done in a Celtic style.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

FYI: This has also been posted to the Reddit forum for Gaeilge.


As was already given:
Le grásta Dé
or
Trí ghrásta Dé
look fine to me and I would stand by either of these as a translation if asked for a translation of
'By the Grace of God'

You could spend time going down the contexts road of 'grace' meaning 'favour', etc. but given the words 'By the Grace of God' as given like this, I would stick with the above; and generally in Irish I would not capitalise the 'G' as given in the English.


I wouldn't capitalize "grace" in English either, unless the OP wants initial caps for some reason (in which case, one wouldn't normally capitalized "the" or "of" in English).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1649 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group