It is currently Thu 01 Oct 2026 2:20 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed 30 Nov 2011 4:31 am
Posts: 181
Location: USA
I'm reading a novel that's set in Ireland, Cong to be exact. The author (an American) keeps using "mo chroi." Isn't that wrong? You all taught me "a chroí" is more natural, plus she's missing the í.

This is a very popular author so I'm confused. Is she wrong or is this okay for some reason?

_________________
I'm very much a beginner learner. Don't hesitate to correct me, as long as you explain why. This is how I learn best!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
mimerim wrote:
I'm reading a novel that's set in Ireland, Cong to be exact. The author (an American) keeps using "mo chroi." Isn't that wrong? You all taught me "a chroí" is more natural, plus she's missing the í.

This is a very popular author so I'm confused. Is she wrong or is this okay for some reason?


The 'í' should be there. It must be 'chroí'

Usually we'd say: 'a chroí' on its own...
Example: 'Sit down, a chroí!' (I remember the 'Sit down' part in Gaeilge also, but it would not be unusual to hear 'a chroí' with the English in a sample like this...)

'mo chroí' for me would picture 'my heart' in a physical sense...
Example: Tá mo chroí briste = My heart is broken
Example: A ghrá mo chroí = O love of my heart...
Example: Mian mo chroí = my hearts desire...

I think 'a chroí' is better to use if the author is addressing someone directly.

The author, you say, is American so perhaps is not so familiar with usages in Gaeilge. Using 'Mo chroí!' I suppose is not the end of the world, but the fada on the í is needed.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed 30 Nov 2011 4:31 am
Posts: 181
Location: USA
Whenever she uses it, it's always when addressing a person.

Examples from the book:

"Do you tend me now, mo chroi?"

"I've never lied to you, mo chroi."

No fada on either.

_________________
I'm very much a beginner learner. Don't hesitate to correct me, as long as you explain why. This is how I learn best!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
mimerim wrote:
Whenever she uses it, it's always when addressing a person.

Examples from the book:

"Do you tend me now, mo chroi?"

"I've never lied to you, mo chroi."

No fada on either.


Ah, that's a clearer picture. She should of course use 'a chroí' with the fada. As you say, she's American so I think most of us would forgive her this little botúinín, particularly if the book is good... :)

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
mimerim wrote:
Whenever she uses it, it's always when addressing a person.

Examples from the book:

"Do you tend me now, mo chroi?"

"I've never lied to you, mo chroi."

No fada on either.


We are impressed Mimerim :D . You are able to catch others mistakes now. :good:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Bríd Mhór wrote:
We are impressed Mimerim . You are able to catch others mistakes now.
You have completed your initiation and have earned your stripes! :clap:

The problem with people writing in a language that is foreign to them is that sometimes they do not realise how different languages are and so how important it is to verify with a trustworthy source and that Google Translate is not a trustworthy source.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Braoin wrote:
Ah, that's a clearer picture. She should of course use 'a chroí' with the fada. As you say, she's American so I think most of us would forgive her this little botúinín, particularly if the book is good...


And I'd bet my bottom dollar (to use an old American idiom) the book is pure shite. The quotes support as much

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed 30 Nov 2011 4:31 am
Posts: 181
Location: USA
Thanks, all! :D

As for the book, it's okay. Story is a bit predictable but it's a good one. Writing is okay. Could be better. The book reads like it was rushed, but people buy this author based on her name so her quality can slip a bit and she'll still be a bestseller. I think it's the editing they slacked on, which seems to always be the difference between an okay book and a fabulous one, in my opinion at least.

What bugs me is this is one of the biggest writers in the US. She has the publishing team and money to hire an Irish speaker to check these things!

I found another one: "Not nearly all, and I know you, mo dearthair."

:facepalm:

_________________
I'm very much a beginner learner. Don't hesitate to correct me, as long as you explain why. This is how I learn best!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 1:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
mimerim wrote:
Thanks, all! :D

As for the book, it's okay. Story is a bit predictable but it's a good one. Writing is okay. Could be better. The book reads like it was rushed, but people buy this author based on her name so her quality can slip a bit and she'll still be a bestseller. I think it's the editing they slacked on, which seems to always be the difference between an okay book and a fabulous one, in my opinion at least.

What bugs me is this is one of the biggest writers in the US. She has the publishing team and money to hire an Irish speaker to check these things!

I found another one: "Not nearly all, and I know you, mo dearthair."

:facepalm:


That's a double catch! Not only is it wrong to use "mo" in direct address, when you do use "mo" you need to lenite the following word.

I have to know who this author is....pretty please, with sugar on top?

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this an error?
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed 30 Nov 2011 4:31 am
Posts: 181
Location: USA
Oh gosh...I can't name names. I don't want to publicly criticize other writers. Just...can't.

But what the heck. She's untouchable. It's not gonna affect her sales. And I'd be dying to know if someone else had brought this up.

The book is Dark Witch by Nora Roberts. It's my first time reading her. People say my book reminds them of her paranormal stuff so naturally I had to check her out.

_________________
I'm very much a beginner learner. Don't hesitate to correct me, as long as you explain why. This is how I learn best!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1697 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group