It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 4:58 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014 4:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 07 Jan 2014 4:23 am
Posts: 7
Hello from down under.

Please could someone help me with the Gaelic translation for a Tattoo.

The Gaelic phrase I am hoping to have translated is "The mind falters before the Heart"

I have spoken to my Dad, who speaks a little Gaelic from his School days but he suggested an expert, as the translation could be a bit tricky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank's very much for you time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
PUFFY wrote:
Hello from down under.

Please could someone help me with the Gaelic translation for a Tattoo.

The Gaelic phrase I am hoping to have translated is "The mind falters before the Heart"

I have spoken to my Dad, who speaks a little Gaelic from his School days but he suggested an expert, as the translation could be a bit tricky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank's very much for you time.

Hello back from down under. :wave:

The following is an attempt at Irish Gaelic (if it is Scottish Gaelic you were after we can move it to the relevant forum for you instead):

Teipeann ar an gcuimhne sula dteipeann ar an gcroí. "The mind falters before the heart falters."

There are many words for "mind". Cuimhne refers to the "memory, recall" rather than "intellect" or "opinion". I think it fits the context.

Await correction or confirmation ...

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014 1:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 07 Jan 2014 4:23 am
Posts: 7
G,day Breandan

Thank you for the response and information. Hopefully I can get another response before going ahead.

Regards and thank you again.

Puffy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014 2:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Breandán wrote:
PUFFY wrote:
Hello from down under.

Please could someone help me with the Gaelic translation for a Tattoo.

The Gaelic phrase I am hoping to have translated is "The mind falters before the Heart"

I have spoken to my Dad, who speaks a little Gaelic from his School days but he suggested an expert, as the translation could be a bit tricky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank's very much for you time.

Hello back from down under. :wave:

The following is an attempt at Irish Gaelic (if it is Scottish Gaelic you were after we can move it to the relevant forum for you instead):

Teipeann ar an gcuimhne sula dteipeann ar an gcroí. "The mind falters before the heart falters."

There are many words for "mind". Cuimhne refers to the "memory, recall" rather than "intellect" or "opinion". I think it fits the context.

Await correction or confirmation ...


If that is the context needed then that looks good to me.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014 3:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 07 Jan 2014 4:23 am
Posts: 7
G'day Brid,

Thanks very much indeed for the reply, much appreciated.

Grand work you are doing here.

Puffy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 12 Jan 2014 12:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Breandán wrote:
PUFFY wrote:
Hello from down under.

Please could someone help me with the Gaelic translation for a Tattoo.

The Gaelic phrase I am hoping to have translated is "The mind falters before the Heart"

I have spoken to my Dad, who speaks a little Gaelic from his School days but he suggested an expert, as the translation could be a bit tricky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank's very much for you time.

Hello back from down under. :wave:

The following is an attempt at Irish Gaelic (if it is Scottish Gaelic you were after we can move it to the relevant forum for you instead):

Teipeann ar an gcuimhne sula dteipeann ar an gcroí. "The mind falters before the heart falters."

There are many words for "mind". Cuimhne refers to the "memory, recall" rather than "intellect" or "opinion". I think it fits the context.

Await correction or confirmation ...


If that is the context needed then that looks good to me.


Looks grand!

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1354 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group